Tremor

Gswitz

Essential tremor runs in my family, so I figured that's what I had.  Maybe I do have that, but I  got diagnosed with Parkinson's last year, and tremor is one of its worst symptoms.  Generally if the tremor affects both sides, it's more likely to be essential tremor. Mine affects my right side more than the left.

It affects my woodwind playing more than my keyboard, and on the computer, it affects mouse usage more than keyboard.

Whether it's essential tremor, Parkinson's, or just nerves, the usual drug is Propranolol (Inderal). It really helps, and for me anyway it doesn't have bad side effects. I've heard that plenty of professional musicians take it before performances.

• Like 1

I first notice a slight tremor in the back of my neck when I lay back on the sofa. That was about 10 years ago. As each year goes by it has increased in intensity but hasn't effected anything I'm doing. From what I've been told is it's an aging thing and common unless more extreme. Mine, knock on wood, is not. 

• Like 1

Tremor is a pretty nonspecific descriptor, as the link explains. Even if you ignore the fact that many disorders manifest in part as tremor, and therefore that an etiologic diagnosis is important, the implications of the different types of tremor are markedly different.  A musician who benefits from a beta blocker like propranolol for what your article calls "physiologic tremor" due to stage fright, is in an entirely different situation than someone who cannot stand or walk due to Parkinsonism. 

Although a neurological factor may be the cause, make sure to check out the more direct paths.  It could turn out to be a slight impingement in your shoulder that's just slightly aggravating the nerve.  This is easily treated with some physical therapy to help keep the bones from falling in on each other.  This, in different locations throughout your body as well, is what causes Sciatica.  If this escalates to a shooting pain that goes down the arm, or you start to experience tingling or numbness, then that might suggest a more physical solution.

Needless to say, among my many apparent fringe beliefs, is one that wants to avoid prescription solutions at all costs.  Unfortunately, I see a lot of the medical industry being persuaded by the pharmaceutical companies to prescribe, prescribe, prescribe instead of promoting safer alternative solutions (and I've yet to see a situation that didn't have one).  Unfortunately, these safer solutions don't make anyone rich, so they're typically minimized and ignored (or even outright banned by the FDA).  Also note that the FDA does not approve anything that cures or prevents!  Only "treatments" which means addressing the symptoms to make the condition bearable.  This isn't what you want.

Most people don't realize that the vast majority of medical doctors simply diagnose, prescribe and, occasionally, cut (talking mainly MD's here, not DO's).  The bulk of their drug knowledge comes from the pharmaceutical sales rep!  Be sure to always ask questions of the people who ARE trained to understand medications and the interactions:  Pharmacists.

If it was me, I'd try to figure out why I had the condition in the first place and attempt to address that.  If it turns out to be non-physical, but not serious either, it might be easily remedied using hypnosis, NLP or acupuncture (including acupressure and electro-acupuncture).  Try to get your doctor's consent first though.

Ask lots of questions and don't necessarily take the first answer as gospel!  Hey, it's YOUR body, ya? 🙂

• Like 2

My dad has it pretty bad.

Mine isn't constant. It's in both hands... Today, while working, i hit the shift button with my left hand pinky and it started. But moving to dinner my mom had me carry the drinks with my steady hands. 😁

Maybe less coffee wouldn't hurt. 

I haven't seen a dr yet. I'll talk about it at my next regular dr apt. Dec or Jan.

I'm only 50.

Edited by Gswitz

14 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I haven't seen a dr yet. I'll talk about it at my next regular dr apt. Dec or Jan.

Yes, you're definitely better talking to a qualified medical practitioner with access to proven medication rather than some random dudes on the internet spouting alternative "medicine" nonsense.

The sooner, the better.

Edited by Wibbles

7 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I'm only 50.

There's nothing 'only' about 50.

I use to be 'only' 50, now I'm 'only' 56.

23 hours ago, Gswitz said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremor

Does anyone here have experience with this and willing to share?

Yes, it's hideous, if you have it, see if you can give it back.

The only good thing about it is it has no associated pain, apart from mental anguish, but no physical pain.

Edited by Fret Flintstone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wibbles said:

Yes, you're definitely better talking to a qualified medical practitioner with access to proven medication rather than some random dudes on the internet spouting alternative "medicine" nonsense.

The sooner, the better.

Wow are you programmed Nigel!  I truly feel sorry for you, I'm sure your life could be FAR better than it currently is.  I can only shake my head every time I see people who say crap they've been told to say that's 180 degrees backwards of reality.  Unfortunately, this is now the vast majority of people.

That said, I DID say to talk with his usual PCP.

Here, I PhotoShopped these just for you! 😁

Hypno1a.jpg

Hypno2a.jpg

Hypno3a.jpg

Easy does it.

I believe food is medicinal.

I believe that all we do impacts our health.

I believe in science and understand the meaning of repeatable results.

Not all good things are easy to repeat. The fact that somethings aren't easily quantified doesn't mean they aren't real or that they don't have value.

I appreciate everyone's responses. Thanks folks.

• Like 1