Why can't I use Cakewalk TTS-1 for instruments?

I am running Windows 10  on a 64bit PC with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and I have the latest Sonar Platinum and also Cakewalk by Bandlab last version updated.

I am using ASIO driver with 24bits 44.1Khz. Also my 24bit field is greyed out and fixed so I can`t change it.

Any help?

Thx

Edited by carlo

On 3/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, Rick Rickoff said:

In Sonar 6, I could click the ON/OFF button beside the Tone controls in that window to alter settings, such as boosting the bass level.  I can click the button and it will light up, but  when lit the instrument sound I am editing can no longer be heard when clicking the Preview button.   Now I'm just wondering if everyone else has that same problem.  Do you?

Yes. That's a very old bug. I thought it pre-dated x64 versions, but maybe not. You'll just have to use separate outputs and EQ in the output track.

Personally, although I sometimes still grab TTS-1 for a particular sound that I think will work well for some purpose, I could live without it, and generally do. It always had quirks, doesn't have enough independent outputs, and most of the sounds are pretty weak. Some of the basses do sound pretty good, but so do Dim/Rapture Pro if you have one of those. 

• Like 1

Since arranger's workhorse Xpand!2 seems to be on permanent sale for $14 and I already had it when I came to Cakewalk land, TTS-1 has never been a big deal for me. I let it pleasantly surprise me from time to time.  Some of the rock and combo organs are pretty hip if you drill into the submenus, and the harpsichord is respectable, if I'm remembering correctly.

I used to be way into GM files, about 20 years ago, and I bet TTS-1 is a great player for those. We used to think of GM files as "tablature for keyboard players" because we could figure out pop and rock arrangements and put them up for all to use like guitarists were and still do with tab.

Now of course we have YouTube for music instruction and three cheers for that!

• Great Idea 1

Cakewalk with TTS-1 is absolutely the best way to open GM files that I know of!!!

The instruments will be automatically assigned to the MIDI tracks, using the multitimbral capability of TTS-1, so you are ready to play the arrangement using one plugin for up to 16 MIDI tracks.  The catch is that the sound quality is totally dependent on TTS-1. Some sounds are OK, enough so that you can hear how the MIDI arrangement will be played back.

But then I will usually start substituting other virtual instrument plugins for the TTS-1 sounds, track by track, until I get something that doesn't hurt my ears, and then save the file as a .cwp project.

But other than that, I rarely use TTS-1.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's worth it to mention that Roland Sound Canvas VA is a great replacement for TTS-1 with better sounds and the ability to edit the sounds more deeply, and include EFX. It's basically a hybrid of the SC-8820, SC-88 pro, SC-88 and SC-55 and with some sound design, mixing and mastering in an FX chain you can get some good results.

Example:

On 9/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Since arranger's workhorse Xpand!2 seems to be on permanent sale for $14

@Starship Krupa

I just checked and yes, found it on sale at PlugIn Boutique  https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/1560-Xpand-2/?a_aid=5abf3e9769e18&gclid=CjwKCAjwlovtBRBrEiwAG3XJ-0ZrNyVMHFW_h7qSDX3e3gPWKjNxAmBuMYEhPXdocH-CcF2BwNA7CBoC2OEQAvD_BwE

and here is the developer's webpage:  https://www.airmusictech.com/product/xpand2#.XaPCSH97nZ5

Thanks for sharing that thought Starship Krupa!  That is a great suggestion.

• Like 1

filo, that's a great deal. Anyone who picks up Xpand!2 for that price (or even the $14.99 price) will be amazed at the sheer number and quality of sounds.

I think the list is 2500 or so and don't know if I've made it all the way through auditioning them.

Now that would be a nice thing for synth plug-in manufacturers to supply, a file that contains short auditions of each factory preset so that we don't have to go through the process of increment/noodle/increment/noodle to find our favorite sounds.

• Like 2

I think Xpand!2 is the bang for the buck virtual ROMpler! I got it for a buck a few years ago. It's great for quick song sketching, and the sounds are surprisingly good for the size of the sample ROM.

Yup, loaded with a couple thousand+ sounds and 4-part multi-timbral. Quite a broad range of sound samples. So you can load multiple instances of the plugin with 4 MIDI channels and 4 instrument parts, and a single stereo audio out for each instance.

So you can create sub-mixes of related sounds in each instance of Xpand!2. It loads fast and is light on resources, so multiple instances shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 2

HI:)

@Starship Krupa

Anyway, here's a Swiss Army Knife workstation VSTi that will give you over 2500 sounds, including several acoustic basses that are better than the one in the TTS-1, IMO:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/1560-Xpand-2

Thank you a lot! Very good Sounds.....

Bassman.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...