RIP EVH!

Jim Roseberry

Even if he was a major Ar$sH()le (I know, I have a friend who did live sound for VH in the heyday and again in like 2010 or so) it's sad to have a talent like that go so early.

Edited by Bapu

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Oh man... I'm crushed!  I used to hang out with him at a certain, notorious club in West Hollywood...

My friend Randy "Root' used to hang out with him and his band before they were famous. The first drummer I payed with with Randy 'Root' was really close friends with DLR before they were famous.

One or two degrees of Heaven BECAN.

Edited by Bapu

What was really cool was that we rarely talked about anything to do with music!  (And NOTHING about guitar playing!)  It was weird because the band I was in had recently opened for Blue Oyster Cult and our lead guitarist was a huge Eddie fan (who later went to play in his Godfather's band, Dio).  Eddie never knew I could even spell "guitar" let alone attempt to play one...

Whenever Valerie was back in New York, he'd pull up in his white Lambo (which was even nicer than my poser sports car - lol), then his two bodyguards would pull up in a sedan behind him.  Since I was going out with one of the waitresses and not pestering him for an autograph or anything like that, I was "safe" and we'd sit up at the bar and his bodyguards would stand behind us.  I have a lot of family in Michigan on my Mom's side with the last name of Van Heulen (she's 100% Dutch - my maternal grandparents immigrated from the Netherlands).  So we ended up talking a lot about that and golfing.  The only music-related stuff I remember talking with him about was about him playing piano!

We hung out four or five times but, during the last one, David Lee Roth showed up basically acting like a big tool, then made is way into the DJ booth where he proceeded to yell out over the dance floor "Hey Ladies!  Start deciding which of you will be going home with me tonight!!!"  As soon as he showed up Eddie looked very disappointed (perhaps a big clue that things were not going smooth between them - something confirmed when they replaced him with Sammy!).  After Dave made his "announcement," Eddie said he didn't want to "stick around for the childishness" (or something similar).  I never saw him there after that...

• Like 1