Newbie with a question

Hi all, totally new to computer recording, I have seen ads for the ugritone midi drum packs, will these work with cakewalk or do I need another drum program to utilize them. Instrument wise, i am a guitarist playing through a digitech rp360xp that is hooked to my p.c. I have a line 6 footcontroller that can be utilized as a 6 pad midi trigger. Thanks in advance!😀

Steinberg Groove Agent 5 is 50% off for a while.

AIR Strike 2 is also a good beginner Drum plugin.

I don't find SI-Drums to be good.  I don't even bother installing the Studio Instruments stuff, as they all sound pretty bad to me.

But in the absence of other options,   beggars cannot be choosers 😛 

Native Instruments KOMPLETE START   also has some drums in it 😉 

Hmm,,,i checked out Ugritone midi drums.

You ought to know that names like metal drums or punk drums isn't necessary descriptive of what you're gonna hear.

Midi is only information for a instrument that converts that info to sound. If the instrument sounds like a steel drum a midi file is not going to change that.

They work in Cakewalk and all other daws.

You need an vst instrument plugin with drums as already said. MT powerdrumkit is ok and free. You'll have to tweak the settings of the drums if you need a specific sound.

4 hours ago, Kurre said:

You need an vst instrument plugin with drums as already said. MT powerdrumkit is ok and free. You'll have to tweak the settings of the drums if you need a specific sound.

+1 for MT-PowerDrumKit 2. That is a good entry level kit for free.  https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

It has an internal mixer that you can use to assign the 13 kit pieces to 8 stereo audio outputs (or a single track if desired). The outputs can appear as 8 stereo audio tracks in Cakewalk, if you use insert soft synth options for the instrument as "MIDI Source & All Synth Audio  Outputs: Stereo". Then in the MT mixer, If you group the hats, toms, and crashes into the same channels for each group respectively, you can fit  all of the kit pieces  into eight audio tracks.

• Like 1

@David McMillen - Since you say you're a newbie, I highly recommend you start with SI-Drums, which comes with CbB (separate I think, but free). Mess around with it to get an idea of how MIDI drums work. When you're ready you can buy or try some of the drum programs mentioned by the others in this thread. Be aware that MIDI drums consist of two major parts: the drums themselves (samples), and the MIDI "instructions" which tell the samples what, when and how to play. The MIDI parts can be store-bought loops, or you can create them with a keyboard MIDI controller. Most MIDI drum packages come with both drums and loops, and if you don't understand drum maps, use them together instead of purchasing separately.

Good luck!