Does ADAM AUDIO stuff ever go on sale?

jesse g

I have my eyes set on a pair of Adam Audio AX7 monitors but I don't want to have to pay the full price.

I was wondering if they have Black Friday sales as a company or if their stuff ever goes on sale in the stores.  

I have a pair of the TV7 monitors, but the sound quality doesn't even compare to the sound of their AX7 monitors.

Even here in Europe,  hardly any discount on Adam speakers (usd 588 for 1 AX7 is the lowest I found).

I got a subwoofer that was 15% off by the retailer, that's about the highest discount I've seen.

You could search for a demo pair maybe, or a used pair.

I have the TV7s too, been thinking about the new TV8s...

good luck

Edited by Sheens

41 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Thanks Guys for the input.

I guess full price it is.  I can go to Delaware, which is a 15 minute ride for me to avoid taxes.  LOL 😉

Considering a 15 minute ride around here is usually about three miles (or three city blocks if you lived in Manila), that's not bad! 😁

Most of us living in Vancouver Washington do the same thing and drive across the Columbia River to shop in Portland Oregon (no sales tax in Oregon - no state income tax in Washington).

49 minutes ago, craigb said:

Considering a 15 minute ride around here is usually about three miles (or three city blocks if you lived in Manila), that's not bad! 😁

Most of us living in Vancouver Washington do the same thing and drive across the Columbia River to shop in Portland Oregon (no sales tax in Oregon - no state income tax in Washington).

Craig,

I live near the edge of Pennsylvania, therefore, Delaware is not for from me and I don't mind the drive at all.  I usually drive there for most of my recording gear anyway to save on the taxes.   I am going to call Guitar Center and ask for a discount on the price, they always provide one if you call their corporate number.  Then I will tell them I want to pick it up while I'm visiting in Delaware,  I will save on sales tax if I pay for it in the store instead of online.

Edited by jesse g
  • Great Idea 1

I have never seen discounts on ADAM. Or Genelec, or Focal, or any other high-end monitors. Not even at their booths on the last day of NAMM, where you can often score a deal on just about anything because the salespeople don't want to pack all that stuff up.

However, great deals are available in used gear, and studio monitors are among the safest of gambles because they are literally in "like new" condition even after a decade of use. Speakers don't wear out (some even say they get better-sounding over time) and they rarely have scratches and dings because they rarely move. You may find that not only can you afford those ADAMs, you may even be able to step up to a better model. The X series was meant to be ADAM's market answer to KRK's entry-level Rokit products and as such are actually downgrades from earlier P- and S- models.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:39 AM, bitflipper said:

I have never seen discounts on ADAM. Or Genelec, or Focal, or any other high-end monitors. Not even at their booths on the last day of NAMM, where you can often score a deal on just about anything because the salespeople don't want to pack all that stuff up.

However, great deals are available in used gear, and studio monitors are among the safest of gambles because they are literally in "like new" condition even after a decade of use. Speakers don't wear out (some even say they get better-sounding over time) and they rarely have scratches and dings because they rarely move. You may find that not only can you afford those ADAMs, you may even be able to step up to a better model. The X series was meant to be ADAM's market answer to KRK's entry-level Rokit products and as such are actually downgrades from earlier P- and S- models.

Bitflipper,

I have the KRK Rokit 5 's, the V4 Series and the V6 series monitors.. The V series sound excellent, however the Rockit series are not that great sounding.  I also have the AdamTV7's,  but  their sound is like having the  KRK Rokits.    I heard the Adam AX7 monitors in a Guitar Center and I was drawn to their clean clear sound.  I got a mix that I had with me out of the car and the salesperson allowed me to play it .   That was not the sound I received from anything I had at home, it was much better and I could hear some mixing mistakes  while listening.             

18 minutes ago, craigb said:

[Insert stupid comment here about guys who go through all the rings of fire to make proper mixes that, inevitably, are played at reduced quality through phone speakers here...😁]

Craig,

Were you thinking that I was listening to my  mixes through my phone?

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

Craig,

Were you thinking that I was listening to my  mixes through my phone?

No, no...  Not you!  It was just an observation about how we all try to get the best gear we can to create music the best we can just so that kids now-a-days can play it at a reduced quality through crappy speakers.

23 minutes ago, craigb said:

No, no...  Not you!  It was just an observation about how we all try to get the best gear we can to create music the best we can just so that kids now-a-days can play it at a reduced quality through crappy speakers.

Yes, but not only kids listen to music, there are a vast majority  of people  who listen  to music  in their  car speakers.  These  car speakers consist of Bose, JBL, Pioneer,   Alpine and Kenwood.  Then  we  also have  the home listeners  who have pretty good  audio systems.    BLAH to the cell phone music listener.   😝

Edited by jesse g
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

As far as used adams go, don't they have those funky accordion folded foil tweeters? I've often wondered about the longevity of those.

FWIW I paid a crapton for my monitors (Neumann) and my mixes still kinda suck. Monitors don't equal knowledge. 🤔

Nah, they're weird but not funky. Yeh, they suck as hi-fi speakers because they're extremely directional. But they are extraordinarily flat, which is a good thing for mixing and mastering - as long as you're sitting in the sweet spot. Just don't start dancing in your chair, because moving your head just a few inches will muffle them.

As for longevity, they are damn near indestructible. Certainly harder to damage by high volume than paper or silk.  They can distort, yes, but won't self-destruct. Part of my decision to buy my current monitors (not ADAM) was that they had ADAM-style folded tweeters. I had become quite a fan of them during the years when I was an ADAM user.

You are absolutely correct that good monitors don't make a good mix, any more than having good light guarantees a great painting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bitflipper said:

You are absolutely correct that good monitors don't make a good mix, any more than having good light guarantees a great painting.

My paintings look absolutely marvelous when I use the flood lights on them....  🤪

Last summer I was shopping at Home Depot for a new barbecue and saw one that came with its own app. Makes about as much sense as a refrigerator with a web browser or a wi-fi enabled toaster.

Until the barbecue app can light the fire, turn the burgers and tell me with certainty that there is no chance of botulism, I'll pass.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Last summer I was shopping at Home Depot for a new barbecue and saw one that came with its own app. Makes about as much sense as a refrigerator with a web browser or a wi-fi enabled toaster.

Until the barbecue app can light the fire, turn the burgers and tell me with certainty that there is no chance of botulism, I'll pass.

Hehe...  I can see the end result now:  "Broken spatula?  You should buy the 'BBQ King Chef Set' now!" or "Match the beverage to what you cook!  Based on that cheapa$$ meat I see, can we put some Budweiser in your cart?" 😆