Ocean View

KSband

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's interesting, I'll mix with my Event monitors and then listen to my Audio Technica headphones and it seems good. Then I'll put it on my phone and listen through my cheap blue tooth headphones and all of a sudden something sounds way off. I wear my cheap headphones for hours working in the garage so I'm really used to how things sound through them. I think the final mixing is the hardest part for me, getting everything to sit in the mix on it's own is very challenging.

17 hours ago, kurt soderquist said:

getting everything to sit in the mix on it's own is very challenging.

Kurt do you use a Global Reverb? I find if you use a buss reverb, totally wet, that everything, including the bass and drums,  has a little bit and I mean a little bit sent to it, you can create a single soundstage for all to sit in.  I got this from a Sound on Sound article last century works for me.

22 hours ago, kurt soderquist said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's interesting, I'll mix with my Event monitors and then listen to my Audio Technica headphones and it seems good. Then I'll put it on my phone and listen through my cheap blue tooth headphones and all of a sudden something sounds way off. I wear my cheap headphones for hours working in the garage so I'm really used to how things sound through them. I think the final mixing is the hardest part for me, getting everything to sit in the mix on it's own is very challenging.

That was really nice.  the guitar was smooth and I think I got a nice little flashback buzz from listening, lol.  I agree on the guitar being out of place a bit.  

re: the mixing issues you described..I had the same problem for years. decades. .  I kept buying better and better gear,  but I was still never happy with my mixes....then...I finally caved in and acoustically treated my room.  it was something I didnt want to 'waste' money on,  being that  its kind of expensive for the sum of its materials.  but now,  whatever sound I get in my room,  sounds the same in any speakers or headphones I try.  that gives me way more confidence in my mixes and lets me get creative.  I would say look into that.  

This song is all plugins, my guitar and bass, really no room. The guitar amp is bias fx.  Of my recent stuff only one tune has vocals and acoustic guitar.  Back in  the 90's we had a band with real drums etc. We would struggle all day trying to get decent guitar and drum sounds. This DAW recording is all new to me but it has been fun and I have a lot to learn. 

• Like 1