Event List View not available

Alain Stucki

Hello. I'm a beginner and the question might be silly. But I read the manual and still don't get it. 

I open a midi file and would like to see the event list. According to the manual http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.45.html I just have to either press Alt+8 or select VIEWS, EVEN LIST. But I don't have this option and Alt+8 doesn't do anything. In the manual I read that I can set it to the double-click behaviour, but there I cannoth choose Event List viewer either. See screenshots attached. 

What do I do wrong?

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Screenshot3.png

On 2/28/2020 at 2:04 PM, User 905133 said:

Different Workspaces can have different features enabled or disabled.  For example, if Video or Event List or Markers is missing from the menu system, we do not have access to those features until we either (1) choose a different Workspace (including "None") or (2) tweak the current Workspace (either by creating a new one or resaving the tweaked one).  

PS: JMO: I don't think your question is silly at all.  The "Missing Feature" question has been raised in the forum many times. Also, Cakewalk is quite robust; there is so much to learn with Cakewalk. Plus Workspaces are often misunderstood, overlooked, not used, etc.  Learning how to effectively use, customize, and create personal Workspaces is not an easy task.

Don't get me wrong--I think they are great!!!!!!!

Just saying, if your issue turns out to be a simple matter of changing the "Basic" Workspace to almost any other Workspace (or "None"), you should not feel it was a silly or inappropriate question. 

Edited by User 905133
To add a PS

At first I thought I agreed with Jim about the keyboard shortcut. But that is assuming hitting Alt+8 is intentional.

If a new user using the Basic workspace accidently hits Alt+8, has no idea what they hit or why that perplexing window just popped up, maybe it would be better if the keyboard shortcut is also deactivated. I guess there's no way to make everybody happy.