MIDI Dropout/stutters

drummerguy1010

This is what I have: 

Intel core i7 - 3770 CPU @3.40 GHz, 64 bit OS, 16GB Ram, SONAR X3e Studio. Focusrite 18i20 going into my PC via USB. 

I'm using Zero-G's Nostalgia VST with 2 MIDI channels loaded, along with Play that has 7 MIDI channels loaded, EZ Drummer and about 8 channels recorded audio. On playback, I'm getting stuttering from the Nostalgia VST, clicking/dropouts, very brief intervals but enough it's noticeable when I bounce to .wav. I've adjusted the ASIO settings every possible way, minimum to maximum, and the same with MIDI playback buffers, everything from minimum to maximum settings and every combination in between. I've defragged, updated, etc. 

Any suggestions of where to go next? 

Try CbB

There have been a lot of updates since X3e was released in 2014.

CbB installs as an upgrade to X3 in its own directory updating the shared files and utilities.

Both DAWs will be available after the upgrade.

Instructions on how to upgrade are here.

Other than that adjusting disk buffers in preferences may provide smoother playback.

As was suggested, I'd install Cakewalk by BandLab... and see if the issue persists.

Installing CbB won't have any effect on your existing Sonar X3 install (completely separate).

If the issue persists, I'd check the machine's DPC Latency... using Latency Mon.

High DPC Latency will cause symptoms similar to what you describe.