Problems isolating a track that is solo'd

Oliver James

Question

I am trying to solo a guitar track, but I get some drums (cakewalk studio instruments drums) and vocals coming through, on the track, as well.  Vocals are fed to an aux bus, then to the master.  Guitars are routed to a different aux bus running amplitube, then to master.   Drums are midi patterns run through Studio Instrument drums, then to Master bus.  Does anyone know why I can't isolate the guitar track, just by itself?  Thanks

7 answers to this question

I will have to look at the "Dim solo" item tonight when I get home.  Thank you.  In older versions of Sonar, this was never an issue.  I tried disabling common

sends and various other things.  I froze the Studio Instrument Drums plug in to save cpu processing.  Maybe that's an issue.  I will let you know

how "Dim Solo" works when I can get to it.  Thanks again!

Possibly the guitar tracks were in the headphones when you recorded the vocals, and that bled into the microphone. That's always a danger, especially if you're not using closed-back headphones.

Though if that's the case, it's not a huge problem. Stick a gate on the vocal track to mute it when there no actual vocals happening. Or not -- the quiet guitar on the vocal track will get lost in the mix anyway. Plenty of examples of instrument bleed on the 'isolated' vocal tracks of many Huge Pop/Rock Hits.