Why can't I enable clip stretching?

Keni

Question

Trying to slow tempo and lower pitch of a very large file.

tried using loop construction window. Complained too big so i chopped off a portion, moved it to a new track and bounced it to itself.

i can enable clip looping or clip stretching but neither allows me to clip stretch (ctrl-click on clip end).

what am i doing wrong?

Edited by Keni

10 answers to this question

Got it

Want to stretch and drop pitch. That is a Loop Construction View thing.

1. Open the clip in the LCV
  2. From the LCV Clip menu enable Stretch On/Off
  3. Set the Threshold to 0
  4. To change the clip length modify the BPM
  5. Then adjust the Pitch/Fine Pitch as desired.

For example, to create an effect like running tape at half speed: double the BPM and set Pitch to -12.

Once it sounds right, bounce the clip for best fidelity,

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, scook said:

Got it

Want to stretch and drop pitch. That is a Loop Construction View thing.

1. Open the clip in the LCV
  2. From the LCV Clip menu enable Stretch On/Off
  3. Set the Threshold to 0
  4. To change the clip length modify the BPM
  5. Then adjust the Pitch/Fine Pitch as desired.

For example to create an effect like running a tape at half speed double the BPM and set Pitch to -12.

Once it sounds right, bounce the clip for best fidelity,

Thanks scook...

OK, now I'm getting somewhere. Numbers aren't making sense, but at least the changes have an effect. I doubled the tempo (in the LC window) and dropped the pitch -4 and it sounds somewhat normal....

I just sent a quick copy to the friend I am trying to fix this ofr to see if it sounds more normal to him. The recording is very old and muddy. Someone had transferred it from an old tape.

I'm surprised that -6 made the pitch seem slurred as I expected double the speed would need half the pitch? (-12 was totally out of it as was -6)

Thanks for the quick solution.... Now to get it fine tuned for my friend. Gonna be a lot of work as the file is two sets of songs and the system wouldn't work with the whole file. I selected a single song,  Copied it to a new track and bounced it to itself to finally get it working...

1 hour ago, John Sandlin said:

Also, remember each octave doubles the frequency of a note. So double BPM is an octave up in pitch. -12 on pitch restores the pitch to normal.

Feel like I should mention that this is NOT true of MIDI, just audio... lol.

Thanks John...

i had to do something similar about 1.5 years ago when a friend asked me to digitize a 3-3/4 tape recording and my tape deck is only 7.5/15 ips... i think i slip stretched it to twice it's length then using radius mix to transpose -12....

i'm gonna try that next as using loop editor will be much more tedious as I must chop it into smaller bits for the editor to accept it.

making it more difficult is i really don't know what/how the original clip was created.

• Like 1