Event List view - filter to show controllers only? [RESOLVED]

Colin Nicholls

I'm having difficulty filtering events to show controller events only. The following GIF should show what I'm talking about:

Event_List_Filter_Bug.gif

It's a little quick at the beginning but if you let it loop it should show:

• All events in Track 14
  • I click on [X] Controller to clear/remove Controller events from the list (Works as expected!)
  • I restore it, and click on [X] Note to remove Note events from the list (ALSO REMOVES CONTROLLER EVENTS! What?)

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Edited by Colin Nicholls

Doesn't seem to make a difference.

image.png.7265614849dfe4f4830c1f0ed1e92f6e.png

Not sure where that "114 events shown" is coming from...

HEY WOAH  Okay I closed and re-opened the Event List view and now it works as expected, both with Event Manager and just using the menu.

Hmmm. Okay I'll have to come up with steps to repro.

Thanks for giving it a shot, User906133.

• Like 1

I use the Event Filter. I select the material, then hit the "none" button (otherwise everything gets selected). then I select "controllers." you can filter further to select only some, all or just one of the controllers. All would be Minimum=0, Max=127.

Or is this what you already are doing? from what I see, it looks like you're using the Event Manager.

Edited by mdiemer

1 hour ago, mdiemer said:

I use the Event Filter. I select the material, then hit the "none" button (otherwise everything gets selected). then I select "controllers." you can filter further to select only some, all or just one of the controllers. All would be Minimum=0, Max=127.

Or is this what you already are doing? from what I see, it looks like you're using the Event Manager.

Uh... this is embarrassing but I don't know what you mean by "Event Filter". What "none" button?

In the Event List? I only know of the View dropdown menu or the Event Manager.

It's actually under the Edit Menu. Select your material, then go to Edit-Select-Select By Filter. you will see a very confusing grid of stuff, with everything selected, checkmarks all over the place. That's why you hit the None button. then you can select only what you need.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

It's actually under the Edit Menu. Select your material, then go to Edit-Select-Select By Filter. you will see a very confusing grid of stuff, with everything selected, checkmarks all over the place. That's why you hit the None button. then you can select only what you need.

Well, even after 25 years you can learn something new. Thanks for explaining. I'd never seen or used the Event Filter before. I see you have to select the clips in the track before the option is even enabled, just like you said.

Features like the Event Filter remind us that Cakewalk was a very strong MIDI sequencer long before Audio was added to the feature set.

You can also select the material in the event list. I usually make the selection in staff view, since that's where I spend much of my time. I think you can probably make the selection however you want, in any view.

you don't see much about this feature on the forum. I use it now and then. sometimes, when I open an old project from a legacy Cakewalk/sonar version, I need to get rid of a bunch of controllers, or even all of them. The event filter is a great  way to do that, very fast. I have removed all controllers for an entire large orchestral project with one click.