Feature Request - Clipping Indicator

Terry Kelley

Maybe this already exists and I've missed it, but it would be nice if the main screen had an indicator that something/anything is clipping. It could be an audio track, effect, etc. Occasionally I can hear something's wrong and have to go find it. An indicator that something is red would alert me to start looking. And yes, the Sonitus EQ is a common culprit. 

Every track has a level indicator.  The top of the level indicator changes to red any time a track clips.  The red indicator stays on until you reset it to turn it off.  Navigate your mouse over the indicator and click on the red indicator to reset it.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1

There's some great free VU Meters out there, with  clip indicators and peak levels metering to put on your Master Track - especially the Presonus Analogue VU Meter, which is absolutely free to download.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

8 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Every track has a level indicator.  The top of the level indicator changes to red any time a track clips.  The red indicator stays on until you reset it to turn it off.  Navigate your mouse over the indicator and click on the red indicator to reset it.

Right, but if an effect inside the track is clipping it won't tell you. I can crank up the Sonitus EQ output to full red and still back down the track level to not show red.

If ANYTHING is red, flash something on the main screen.

Edited by Terry Kelley

Pro Channel has a light indicating clipping. Every processor has a level indicator as well.

Do your due diligence and keep your levels in check.

Better yet, use appropriate gain staging, and never worry about clipping.

5 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Right, but if an effect inside the track is clipping it won't tell you. I can crank up the Sonitus EQ output to full red and still back down the track level to not show red.

If ANYTHING is red, flash something on the main screen.

The pro channel itself has an indicator that tells you that. It's Highlighted as  "B" in the picture attached. images.png.7e35bb64446ff425430a44f0566f5df3.png 

Every other Pro channel module has their own indicator LED too - if you're using them in your projects.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, Terry Kelley said:

I'll look at that again but I never noticed it coming on when an effect was clipping.

For this to work you have to switch the pro channel on ("E") and the Console Emulator Channel Module. 20201005_233646.thumb.jpg.157d0e723518ff84d492edc43fdb5697.jpg

I hide my "Prochannel Model" (which is the box underneath, also known as the Prochannel EQ.) Have no idea why it's linked to the pro channel on/off switch/strip.

I prefer to insert and read a VU meter on the master bus and use my ears. Awesome free VU's out there, such as the Presonus VU Meter from Studio One - it's free and extremely accurate.

vu-meter.jpg.2db635710745bad5e8374b1a7b63d511.jpg

Edited by Will_Kaydo

10 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Thanks Will, but that's not what I am looking for.

You sure? Cause the prochannel clip indicator is really that good. If a plugin clips and I mean any plugin (not only the channel modules,) the indicator on the pro channel lights up red. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

3 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You sure? Cause the prochannel clip indicator is really that good. If a plugin clips and I mean any plugin (not only the channel modules,) the indicator on the pro channel lights up red. 

Let me try it again. I didn't see a clipping effect light it up. Could be me (usually is.) :)

But I was thinking of a simple box up top (or bottom) that lights up to say "go look for what's clipping."

It's possible that many of the effects won't report that and they certainly aren't going to get updated.

Edited by Terry Kelley

23 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

But I was thinking of a simple box up top (or bottom) that lights up to say "go look for what's clipping."

Not a bad idea, but it's gona take a hack of a coding relationships between CbB and Vst manufactures for this to work.