Virtual Controller issue or my ignorance?

JamisonK

Question

I am having an issue where the virtual controller/keyboard is active on all tracks in a project.

Using sitala and have 16 tracks opened, 8 used, the other 8 in a folder (unused as yet). Open a 17th track for a synth. When the octave range on the keyboard is where the drum elements fall on those keyboard notes (c3, c#3, d3, etc) , despite only the 17th track/synth being the active track, I am hearing the drum elements attached to those keys/notes. 

Don't know whether I inadvertently  initiated some keyboard shortcut for this to happen (or when I added a track or tracks had some box checked or unchecked that allowed this), or if it is a bug, etc.  Never had this happen before.

I've opened a new project to attempt to recreate the scenario and I cannot, I've also checked and re-checked inputs, outputs, etc seeing if I beefed it somewhere. Hopefully I have articulated my problem clearly, and any help would be appreciated. It's most likely that I'm just super ignorant (i've been using this DAW for about 2 months and change) and am totally overlooking something obvious. 

Thanks to all here in cakewalk forum-land in advance for the help and possibly ridicule (it may be deserved).

6 answers to this question

This is often the cause of unexpected MIDI playback...

I read over your response to the poster's issue, as they do echo mine. The only difference is I used the step sequencer for drums and am playing the synth, not drawing any midi notes.

The enable midi input/output selections in the vst window(s) are greyed out (i suspect because of the step sequencer/actual playing of the synth?) and the always echo midi current midi track only served to cutoff the synth track even when it was the active track. Appreciate the advice, I am becoming resigned to having to reconstruct the drums in a new project where this isn't an issue.

Edited by JamisonK
To include post quote

It does not matter if the CbB step sequencer is used or not.

It may not be a case of a synth sending MIDI data.

Check the input drop downs on all the instrument/MIDI tracks. If they are set to "All Inputs" or the Virtual Controller with input echo is enabled will cause the MIDI to be echoed on those tracks too.

1 hour ago, scook said:

It does not matter if the CbB step sequencer is used or not.

It may not be a case of a synth sending MIDI data.

Check the input drop downs on all the instrument/MIDI tracks. If they are set to "All Inputs" or the Virtual Controller with input echo is enabled will cause the MIDI to be echoed on those tracks too.

Fair enough, understood.

Input dropdowns on instrument tracks (if I'm looking in the right place) only have options for none or virtual controller. All are set to none (but do the switch to omni when made the active track, as is standard). However, the input echo is randomly turning on across several of the drum tracks (some in use and some in the folder) I've noticed.

1 hour ago, scook said:

When a track has input echo enabled, if the track input is set to None, it changes to Omni.

By default, Always Echo Current MIDI Track is enabled so any time a track gets focus the input will change from None to Omni.

This is why I recommend turning this setting off and manually set input echo as needed.

I hear you, tried it, relaunched the project and cakewalk for that matter, still the same results. I've gone through various permutations and avenues (albeit with my limited knowledge of the DAW) and am still banging my head against the digital wall as it were. 

When I load a second track of synth (the 18th on the project) that also keys the drum elements, yet it doesn't the other synth track. 

From here I can only imagine that its either a weird conflict or bug between sitala and cakewalk where for some reason the virtual controller is not getting the command to be inactive on the drum tracks or I've initiated some esoteric key command that ties the virtual controller to sitala/the drum tracks. 

My apparent options are to either open a new project and reconstruct the drums or freeze the drum tracks and proceed in laying down other elements of the song. Probably going to go with the former, because the latter will leave a nagging in the back of my head that the issue is still in play and I'm having to work around it.

Again, thanks for the advice and attempt to solve the mystery. Much appreciated.