Blocking by Labels

xxrich

Greetings!  So I use Cakewalk to "capture the moment" when I'm composing.  But then I end up with a lot of moments:-)  And I also desire to textually insert (mostly so I remember) performance notes like particular violin instructions, or horn mutes, or whatever.  Markers does some, but it's not designed for either of these needs.  Simply a new "Hyper Marker" (aka "HM" - patent not pending:-)) that draws a line through the tracks or otherwise blocks a track section via color would be helpful.  On the crazier side, the scripting software Final Draft has the notion of outlines.  That would be way cool to string together blocks of composition.  But I'd take any additional capability towards this notion.

-rich

Final Draft as another "View" in Cakewalk would be great on each track to note info about that section.  "scook - Could also abuse the Arranger to tag section of the timeline" Simple notes would work I guess. Extended text in markers just ends up being a blur when you are zoomed out. I would like to put post-it noted all down several complex tracks LOL!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Final Draft as another "View" in Cakewalk would be great on each track to note info about that section.  "scook - Could also abuse the Arranger to tag section of the timeline" Simple notes would work I guess. Extended text in markers just ends up being a blur when you are zoomed out. I would like to put post-it noted all down several complex tracks LOL!!!

Good thoughts.  Looked at arranger some time ago and didn't think it would help - but I'll look again.  Basically looking for the ability to embedded more textual information.  On a side note (pun intended:-)) I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make the track title textual box bigger - not sure why it's locked down in size maybe there is a way around that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good ideas but all hacks 🙂  Staff view would be great but it's never (ever) worked well enough to be of much value.  Lanes is just too much when you already have 100 or so tracks 🙂  Just looking for enhanced Markers perhaps.  Maybe a two tier system - the higher one you can create a colored blocks with.  The lower one is what we have already.  Just thinking . . .
-rich

6 hours ago, xxrich said:

Good ideas but all hacks 🙂  Staff view would be great but it's never (ever) worked well enough to be of much value.  Lanes is just too much when you already have 100 or so tracks 🙂  Just looking for enhanced Markers perhaps.  Maybe a two tier system - the higher one you can create a colored blocks with.  The lower one is what we have already.  Just thinking . . .
-rich

As @Noel Borthwick says, arranger tracks should be able to do this for you.

You can do the two tier thing already by having two arranger tracks, or you can use one arranger track in combination with markers if this works better for you.

You can also convert markers to / from arranger sections by using the time-ruler selection and the time ruler context menu.

My head is spinning a bit with the arranger suggestion.  Will have to gig into it.  Symphonic compositions these days so a lot of player notes/time changes/etc.  Appreciate Steve Hader's thoughts as well,  I could sure use this feature too!
-rich 

(btw, I don't get notified of any replies yet the "notify me of replies" is active ??)

Edited by xxrich