[not a deal] NI Guitar RIG Pro 6

Piotr

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but...

I like the Fire Breather amp a lot.  It's a Marshall type amp with 3 different gain levels.  I preferred it over the British Collection in Amplitube.

The Chicago is based on a 50s era type Fender amp.  It has nice character for clean settings.  It sounds ok broken up with single coils, less so with my bridge humbucker.

Like I've said in another thread, although the old amps are the same (just always in HQ mode), the new matched cabinets are much better than either the old matched cabinets or the control room components.  You have fewer options but the options they give you sound much cleaner and more present.   While this doesn't make the old amps sound state of the art, it does help them sound a bit better.

Anyone who already has the mod pack knows that they sound quite good on guitar.  It's nice to see that they are included now.

It's also nice to see their vintage compressors, solid series, and reverb classics included.

There's also a component called Dirt.  It can get some interesting fuzz and distortion sounds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I have just upgraded from K12 to K13U so I have tons of new stuff to check out, GR6 being one of them. So I haven't had as long as I would have liked to give it a thorough test. 

In the other thread I said that the new amp models are excellent and I also thought the old ones sounded better. That's probably due to what Magic Russ says above (always in HQ mode, better matched cabs etc.). It would be good if they re-did some of the old models using the new modeling technique and they seem to be open to the idea of adding new stuff as their webpage says... 

Our new way of modeling hardware gear means we can more easily add the types of amps and effects that our community wants, and everybody’s welcome to pitch in.

Looking at the input filter section it's clearly not just aimed at guitar but as a general FX processor and it seems like a useful update over the old version in that respect.
There are a lot of good presets including artist ones with a promise of more to come in future.

I was getting some really interesting sounds with the Flair Arpeggiator preset. There are a bunch of modifiers such as LFO which you can assign to almost anything for example a LFO assigned to the tone control of an amp. 

The new Softube effects are a welcome addition as are the new matched amp cabs which use IRs from Ownhammer and 3 Sigma Audio. 

There's also a demo version --> hhttps://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-6-pro/downloads/

...and the manual can also be downloaded from that link.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

Looking at the input filter section it's clearly not just aimed at guitar but as a general FX processor and it seems like a useful update over the old version in that respect.
There are a lot of good presets including artist ones with a promise of more to come in future.

I was getting some really interesting sounds with the Flair Arpeggiator preset. There are a bunch of modifiers such as LFO which you can assign to almost anything for example a LFO assigned to the tone control of an amp. 

Guitar Rig has always been known for it's (non amp) effects and modulations, to the point that you might see KVR users post that nobody uses it for guitar anyways.  This new update, with all the Studio Effects included, gives a lot to anyone who was already in that camp.  The whole "input filtering" thing just seems to be a more prominent way of tagging patches for intended uses.

The modulators have been there, but the Flair Arpeggiator is a striking example that shows new possibilities.  For those who don't have GR6 yet, this patch uses their Flair flanger, which has a pitch parameter.  The patch uses a step modulator to modulate that parameter.  The sound you get is like an arpeggiator, but has a different sound than what you get if you were to modulate a pitch shifter in similar fashion.

• Like 1

FYI, the Guitar Rig 6 demo is up.  This will work for 30 minutes at a time, and then you can reopen it.  You just can't save your own patches.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-6-pro/downloads/

Also, if you get Komplete Start, Guitar Rig Player 6 is now included. 

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/included-products/#c907895

I'm not sure if you can get it without getting Komplete Start.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Reid!

With all this excitement, been wanting to test out GR6. I've never really been happy with GR5 in general and never used it on a track, but this looks promising......(if I can get a good upgrade price).

• Like 1

I am always grateful for full demos.  Ujam 30 day ones are nice, but the ones from NI and Arturia are awesome.  I'm very happy using Pigments and Pharlight all the time without paying for them.   I'll probably buy Pigments someday, but I don't need it.  And I'll upgrade to KU13 this summer, but it's nice to be able to play with Pharlight and now to check out GR6 is pretty great.  So kudos to both of those companies. 

I never use Guitar Rig, but this looks very good, particularly the idea that they will be making (possibly free) upgrades.  It certainly seems like if they come out with something like Raum in the future, it will turn up in Guitar Rig. 

It's funny. The way they've got this set up makes it another one of those products like MixBox. 

Is there any other NI product that is resizeable? 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

I'm liking this GR6 (demo) as it has a lot to offer especially with all the Fx's. The amps responded pretty well (really liked that Chicago amp) and enjoyed quite a few of the presets available. They've definitely improved quite a bit from GR5....don't think it's quite worth the $199 price tag, but around the $99 price point, I might jump on this.

1 hour ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I have GR5 and the upgrade price to GR6 for me appears to be $99 which seems a little steep. I'll wait for a deal later in the year.

Yeah, I might very well give it a go for a 50% upgrade price of $50. GR5 was always a pretty nice effects suite, but severely lacking in amplifier quality, especially by today’s standards. If the amps aren’t at least at the level of latest Amplitube or Scuffham though, I might not do the upgrade at all.