External insert with 4096 buffer size

jono grant

Hey there,

I have a 96kHz session with a ton of heavy DSP UAD plugins. When these sessions get this big, UAD adds a 4096 buffer size that can be selected.

All working fine but I want to use an external insert, and at this buffer size, I can't seem to get the latency under control. The delay reports 45 ms (4408 samples) and it's set there but still a bunch of latency. If I add a minus offset I can get it closer but not to an acceptable amount. 

Anything that I can try here? Cheers

Jono

Save the presets for the DSP-heavy effects, copy the audio tracks, and render then with the effect. Mute the tracks you copied. Now you can delete the effects, but if you need to edit the sound, you can always delete the rendered tracks and try again using the original ones. 

Another option is to premix the song except for the track you want to process with the external effect. Create a new project with the premix and the track you want to process. Process the track, export it, and import it into your original project.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Craig Anderton
Add another possibility
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig Anderton said:

Save the presets for the DSP-heavy effects, copy the audio tracks, and render then with the effect. Mute the tracks you copied. Now you can delete the effects, but if you need to edit the sound, you can always delete the rendered tracks and try again using the original ones. 

Another option is to premix the song except for the track you want to process with the external effect. Create a new project with the premix and the track you want to process. Process the track, export it, and import it into your original project.

Hope this helps :)

Yes, I can think of workarounds. I would export any audio dry and then save the file as a template without audio. Reopen the template and bring in the audio resampled to say 48kHz.

I was more wondering if the external insert can handle this. If the buffer is at 2048 I'm able to get the external insert in sync, why not at 4096?

Edited by jono grant