Melda External Madness sale 10th round. Starting on Monday, March 4th.

TheSteven

MeldaProduction has announced the 10th round of the Eternal Madness Discount 2019, offering 50% off 4 plugins every week.
Getting started on Monday, March 4th.

Deal of the week:

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

• TheSteven changed the title to Melda External Madness sale 10th round. Starting on Monday, March 4th.

mxxx core is great value for €50.  Even with just the included modules, you can create all kinds of great stuff as it includes a delay tap, compressor, a filter module with over 100 filter types, wave folder etc, and the mxxx framework allows for things like feedback and extensive modulation inc envelopes, lfos etc.

Makes a good playground for building interesting and unusual delays etc.

It also includes a very powerful oscillator module - like the ones found in mpowersynth, so it can do subtractive/additive and even resynthesis where you can pick a single cycle from a sample.  So you can combine multiple oscillator modules with the powerful filter modules and use mxxx's built in midi functionality, which includes a sweet little arpeggiator, to make a cracking monosynth. 

BUT - I have an issue with mxxx core and the way it's presented as being a way to buy the bits of mxxx that you want - and that's that there's no upgrade path from mxxx core + other purchased plugins/modules to mxxx full.  The only purchase that counts towards an upgrade to mxxx full is mxxx core.

• Like 1

Hi Paul!
Been thinking about picking MXXX Core... but will have to wait till next sale.

Upgrading to MCompleteBundle or MTotalFXBundle are the only direct paths for upgrading MXXX Core to MXXX, but you can effectively upgrade incrementally by obtaining individual plugins** as they unlock components ('processors') of MXXX.
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MXXXCore?source=kvrnews&id=MXXXCore shows which plugins unlock which 'processors'.

**individual plugins do discount your price for any bundle that contains them.
But you are right that there appears to be no direct*** way to just upgrade MXXX .
***Since I don't own MXXX I don't know if when you do that an upgrade path/bundle shows up for you or not.

Edited by TheSteven

mcomplete would technically work as that gives everything including mxxx, but that's not really just upgrading to mxxx and it's a hella different pricepoint.

mtotalfx doesn't work as it doesn't include mdrummer or mpowersynth which are in  mxxx.

Even if both of those bundles were at 50% plus my discount for the stuff I already own, it'd still be cheaper to buy mxxx full during a 50% offer.

Same deal if I bought/upgraded the other bundles I'd need to complete mxxx as it stands right now - I own mxxx core/mcreative bundle/mdynamiceq /mturboreverb/mturbocomp. I also have the paid version of mfreefxbundle - but that doesn't count for anything in mxxx-land.

The big advantage of going full mxxx is that it's cheaper than doing the bundles way and you get new modules when they release new stuff.

I asked Luke at melda about it before and he confirmed that it's only mxxx core than counts towards the upgrade to mxxx itself.  

Not to do down mxxx core though - it's a riot if you put in the time to get into the "melda way of doing things". 

I genuinely love the way their stuff works - but the lack of an upgrade path makes me not want to spend any more money with them now unless there's a silly deal like the mturboreverb+mturbocomp for $99 one.

I can't even sell what I have at a sensible price to fund an upgrade to mxxx full given the melda transfer fee is 20% of current FULL price.

Edited by Paul_in_wales

MTransientMB is actually a really useful tool.

Being able to affect the transients of only a certain frequency range whilst leaving the rest alone can really help.

It makes a normal transient shaper seem like a sledgehammer, whilst this one is a craft chisel.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1

Just to throw this into the mix:  you can get a Melda subscription for everything for $49/month.  This is not just a subscription, but a rent to own plan.  (Details are on the Complete Bundle page.)   -- OR --  If you're patient, every single Melda plugin typically goes on sale for 50% during Black Friday and Xmas - including bundles.

Also, if you happen to be new to Melda plugins, you can use someone's referral code for an additional 20% discount off whatever you're buying. Here's my referral code:  MELDA2490257    (Feel free to use it, or use a friend's because Melda gives them 10% credit too!)  You guys posting these deals should throw your referral code in your posts too. It's a real win/win.  ;)

Another good deal is Melda's new MDoubleTRacker.  It's on introductory pricing for 25 Euros - not sure how much longer it'll be on...

Finally, If you haven't yet, try out the FREE bundleMConvolutionEZ sounds fantastic! If you're looking for a good reverb, check it out before you spend anything on another one - seriously!

Fanboy rant over.  Great company - quality plugins!

Edited by mibby
  • Like 1

MXXX has a wild "wow" factor to it, but in practical application I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. MXXX Core would be easier path for some to nit-pick at extras with the Eternal Madness deals.

Regarding the 50% off bundle deals mentioned above; when I got mine, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Melda gives a % credit for things you already own. I assume this still holds true, so keeping plugins you own now will benefit you when the 50% off bundle deals hit.

The subscription model does not count towards those 50% off bundle deals... AFAICT, once on-board it seems you need to ride that to the end. With a little patience and one-offing things during the Madness Deals, things end up being more cost-effective in the long run to getting the Complete Bundle.

Disclaimer: I cannot check the "credit for previously purchased plugins" anymore, but that should be easy to verify by adding the Complete Bundle to your cart and see what they give you credit for. I assume that still holds true, since Melda is very good about not selling you the same plugin twice (they are about the only company I know of who won't).

Bundle discounts are based as follows;

How the upgrade prices are computed: we subtract 70% of what you have spent so far for the products included in the upgrade. We cannot know the actual price when you purchase from a reseller, so we assume 50% off, hence it is advantageous to purchase from us directly if you plan to upgrade. Minimum upgrade price is € 10.

Melda DOES track exactly how much you paid for a plugin purchased from them or if you got it from a reseller.
I had an upgrade question last winter, I thought the quote was low, and they ran me through each plugin and what it's tradein value was.

So if you've built your collection from sale items then you're probably looking at a 70% credit based off of 50% of the retail for each plugin to be applied to the bundle upgrade.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mibby said:

Just to throw this into the mix:  you can get a Melda subscription for everything for $49/month.  This is not just a subscription, but a rent to own plan.  (Details are on the Complete Bundle page.) .

That's okay for dipping in and out, but the idea of paying full price for mcomplete vs 50% in a sale (maybe less if resellers are honoring the sale price too) makes that very expensive financing.

Edited by Paul_in_wales

5 hours ago, Paul_in_wales said:

the idea of paying full price for mcomplete vs 50% in a sale (maybe less if resellers are honoring the sale price too) makes that very expensive financing.

I totally agree.  And $49 a month is a bit steep too. But it is still an option.  But Melda was the first company I know of that came out with the "rent-to-own" option.  I'm generally in the same boat as you as far as my Melda plugins. After picking up MTurboComp and MTurboReverb, I need to invest a lot more time learning these plugins rather than buying new ones!

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

The subscription model does not count towards those 50% off bundle deals... AFAICT, once on-board it seems you need to ride that to the end.

I believe you are correct.  The subscription is too pricey. Still, I like that it's a rent-to-own option.

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Melda DOES track exactly how much you paid for a plugin purchased from them or if you got it from a reseller.
I had an upgrade question last winter, I thought the quote was low, and they ran me through each plugin and what it's tradein value was.

So if you've built your collection from sale items then you're probably looking at a 70% credit based off of 50% of the retail for each plugin to be applied to the bundle upgrade.

Thanks for this, I didn't know.  Melda is fair but they're not dumb.  :)

14 hours ago, Paul_in_wales said:

That's okay for dipping in and out, but the idea of paying full price for mcomplete vs 50% in a sale (maybe less if resellers are honoring the sale price too) makes that very expensive financing.

The plus side is you will never have to pay that again.  They have lifetime free updates. It would probably take you two lifetimes to actually master all of those.

15 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The plus side is you will never have to pay that again.  They have lifetime free updates. It would probably take you two lifetimes to actually master all of those.

One big plus is that they base plugins on a common design, so you won't shift from one to another and be totally lost. When I got this new machine I didn't load anything but Melda and iZotope, so the fun learning game is when a new FX gets touted I go searching for how to do that with Melda.

Flashy plugins that have a steep upgrade cost have serious competition. Some of those suites would pay for Melda's Complete Bundle during their 50% off sales... Difference is you pay to upgrade the other guys, but Melda gives the upgrades to you. I am still on the iZotope upgrade train, but Melda takes care of most everything else...

VSTis... those are a different story...

8 hours ago, mettelus said:

One big plus is that they base plugins on a common design, so you won't shift from one to another and be totally lost. When I got this new machine I didn't load anything but Melda and iZotope, so the fun learning game is when a new FX gets touted I go searching for how to do that with Melda.

Flashy plugins that have a steep upgrade cost have serious competition. Some of those suites would pay for Melda's Complete Bundle during their 50% off sales... Difference is you pay to upgrade the other guys, but Melda gives the upgrades to you. I am still on the iZotope upgrade train, but Melda takes care of most everything else...

VSTis... those are a different story...

Lack of in depth tutorials really hold these back from being popular.   There is Chandler's youtube channel that's helpful.   Sometimes VSTBuzz or APD will also have a sale on Melda stuff.   I got their super duper compressor and delay for $99.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Lack of in depth tutorials really hold these back from being popular.   There is Chandler's youtube channel that's helpful.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Chandler has done a lot of awesome tutorials, but most stay on the start screen (not his specifically, but in general). Most of Melda's plugins go far beyond that screen, and AFAIK there is only one tutorial on multiparameters, which is one of the most powerful features.

Ironically, many people purchase plugins based on curb appeal rather than processing power (and complex GUIs can actually limit audio processing capability from the CPU hit), so Melda is a little downplayed in that regard. The only feature that I feel is lacking is the cross-communication between plugins of the same type (ala FabFilter and iZotope).

Just to inject a little reality here for spectators ... From a practical perspective, plugins are akin to instruments; i.e., it is easy to buy something "new and flashy" with the expectation that things will drastically improve. It is far better to master plugins you own than to be on a constant quest for something better, and included plugins are more than adequate in the right hands. After our Gibson debacle, I wanted a minimalist plugin set that was not locked to any DAW, so I can pick and choose which DAW I use with a familiar set of tools. This is not to say that is a fit for others, by was my reaction to that event.

11 minutes ago, mettelus said:

The only feature that I feel is lacking is the cross-communication between plugins of the same type (ala FabFilter and iZotope).

I think this is actually possible. 

For instance, I loaded an instance of MEqualizer and an instance of MDynamicEQ.  I was able to copy the EQ settings from the MEqualiser instance to the EQ settings of the MDynamicEQ instance. 

Is this what you mean by “cross-communication between plugins of the same type”?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. By "cross-communication" I was referring to having multiple instances of the same plugin on several tracks and being able to compare audio side-by-side within one instance. MMultiAnalyzer does have this, but would be nice to have across the board.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the videos. 

About cross communication, I believe that is being saved for a future project called “the mixing revolution”. From what I heard it will have things such as the ability to view the spectrum of all tracks and EQ a track while viewing the spectrum of the others. It will have many more features too, but I have no idea what they will be. It’s supposed to be big, powerful and innovative though.

• Like 1