Jump to content
Rainer Haack

Loopback function in Cakewalk with Focusrite Scarlett 4i4

Recommended Posts

In Cakewalk,  Scarlet 4i4 loopback function does not assign an active audio file to an audio track. The audio file is not recognized. The same applies to audio files from the web browser (e.g. YouTube).
 
The loopback function only works with the audio track for the microphone.
 
I used the Asio drivers from Focusrite. Settings in Cakewalk:
 
Audio track for the microphone:  
IN: Left Focusrite USB ASIO Input 1
OUT: Master
 
Audio track for loopback:  
IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1
OUT: Master
 
Settings in Focusrite Control (Scarlett 4i4 audio interface):
Loopback 1-2: Playback 1-2, not muted
Line Outputs 3 - 4: Custom Mix, not muted
Monitor Outputs 1 - 2: Custom Mix, not muted
 
When I use MME as my driver, active audio files and audio files from the web browser (e.g. YouTube) are recognized, but not the Focusrite Scarlet 4i4. And this is not my goal.
 
I've tried dozens of settings in Focusrite Control and Cakewalk and I can't get the hang of it.
 
Who can help me here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Rainer, firstly you should use the ASIO drivers from the Focusrite site as you noted above, and go to Windows Settings> Sounds and enter the Scarlett as your output device, that will tell Windows to use your Scarlett for YouTube. 

Loopback is for recording whatever you are hearing through the Scarlett (outputs 1-2).  For example, after you have finished a mix you may want to record a stereo file back into your project, to do this create a new stereo track, choose IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1, arm the track for recording, press 'R' to record. Of course you could export the file and re-import which would be the same.

Another example is if you want to convert a VSTi into an audio track.  If after you programmed a bass track using a virtual synth and you want to convert it to an audio clip you can use the Loopback feature.  First create a new audio track. Since this bass track is mono you can choose either the Left or Right Loopback, so 'IN: Left Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1'.  Solo the bass VSTi track you programmed, remember Loopback records the audio going through outputs 1-2 of the Scarlett, in this case it will be recording output 1 which is the Left Loopback.  Arm the new audio track for recording and press 'R'.  When finished you have a mono audio track of the bass guitar.  You could also use the Freeze function for this.

So any audio that is present at outputs1-2 can be recorded into CbB using the Loopback feature.  This obviously means the outputs of your Master Bus must be routed to outputs 1-2 of the Focusrite.  Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, tonemangler said:

Hello Rainer, firstly you should use the ASIO drivers from the Focusrite site as you noted above, and go to Windows Settings> Sounds and enter the Scarlett as your output device, that will tell Windows to use your Scarlett for YouTube. 

Loopback is for recording whatever you are hearing through the Scarlett (outputs 1-2).  For example, after you have finished a mix you may want to record a stereo file back into your project, to do this create a new stereo track, choose IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1, arm the track for recording, press 'R' to record. Of course you could export the file and re-import which would be the same.

Another example is if you want to convert a VSTi into an audio track.  If after you programmed a bass track using a virtual synth and you want to convert it to an audio clip you can use the Loopback feature.  First create a new audio track. Since this bass track is mono you can choose either the Left or Right Loopback, so 'IN: Left Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1'.  Solo the bass VSTi track you programmed, remember Loopback records the audio going through outputs 1-2 of the Scarlett, in this case it will be recording output 1 which is the Left Loopback.  Arm the new audio track for recording and press 'R'.  When finished you have a mono audio track of the bass guitar.  You could also use the Freeze function for this.

So any audio that is present at outputs1-2 can be recorded into CbB using the Loopback feature.  This obviously means the outputs of your Master Bus must be routed to outputs 1-2 of the Focusrite.  Cheers. 

Thank you very much for your answer.  
In this context I have a deeper question:
 
How can I record audio streams like youtube or desktop audio in cakewalk ? I do not mean the file import function from the file menu.
I want to process the recorded audio stream via loopback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rainer Haack said:

Thank you very much for your answer.  
In this context I have a deeper question:
 
How can I record audio streams like youtube or desktop audio in cakewalk ? I do not mean the file import function from the file menu.
I want to process the recorded audio stream via loopback.

VB Audio has a bunch of utilities to allow you to do this:

https://vb-audio.com/Cable/
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rainer Haack said:

How can I record audio streams like youtube or desktop audio in cakewalk ? I do not mean the file import function from the file menu.
I want to process the recorded audio stream via loopback.

You can capture audio from YouTube using the loopback function.  Loopback is simply taking the audio present at the outputs 1-2 of the Focusrite and looping it back into the loopback input drivers.  In other words if the YouTube audio stream is present at the Focusrite outputs 1-2, then that audio can be captured by Cakewalk by BandLab using the input driver 'IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1'.  Launch both CbB and YouTube.  Create an audio track with it's input set to  'IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1'.  Switch over to YouTube and start video.  Switch back to CbB and hit 'R' for record on the audio track you just created.  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 1:34 AM, tonemangler said:

You can capture audio from YouTube using the loopback function.  Loopback is simply taking the audio present at the outputs 1-2 of the Focusrite and looping it back into the loopback input drivers.  In other words if the YouTube audio stream is present at the Focusrite outputs 1-2, then that audio can be captured by Cakewalk by BandLab using the input driver 'IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1'.  Launch both CbB and YouTube.  Create an audio track with it's input set to  'IN: Stereo Focusrite USB ASIO Loop 1'.  Switch over to YouTube and start video.  Switch back to CbB and hit 'R' for record on the audio track you just created.  Good luck.

Thanks for your answer.

 

Now Another question has arisen:
 
If I watch a youtube file via the browser and play a piece of music with the VLC player at the same time, then both audio signals overlap in Windows, i.e. you hear both at the same time. Is there a possibility to separate the audio signals in Cakewalk with separate audio tracks using a VST-plugin (or any other software) or to assign the audio signals to separate audio tracks ?
 
If I assign the audio signals in Focusrite Control, it is possible to switch between loopback 1-2 and loopback 2-3 and assign them to the individual audio tracks in Cakewalk. But this is not what I am looking for.
 
My aim is to separate the audio signals in Cakewalk and leave only one loopback setting in Focusrite Control.
 
It's not about the simple solution of stopping the audio from the VLC player or youtube video using the stop or pause function available there.
 
Is there a solution for this ?
 
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...