not recording in stereo - SOLVED

greg54

SInce switching to CbB, I have been recording in mono so far.   Tonight I tried to record in stereo with my Yamaha MX 49 keyboard, and it's only recording in mono.  I have no idea why.  As you can see in the photo, it's set to stereo.    When I was using Sonar, my keyboard recorded in stereo with no issues.

CbB-stereo (2).png

Edited by greg54

Are you talking about the track that has the waveform showing?  If so, (1) it appears to be a stereo track (that is, it shows two waveforms) and (2) the two channels are different (that is, the audio on the two channels is different) as martin said . 

image.png.7050268558b92c63dc5f256decbb3447.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an image and to acknowledge martin's comment
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, greg54 said:

SInce switching to CbB, I have been recording in mono so far.   Tonight I tried to record in stereo with my Yamaha MX 49 keyboard, and it's only recording in mono.  I have no idea why.  As you can see in the photo, it's set to stereo.    When I was using Sonar, my keyboard recorded in stereo with no issues.

CbB-stereo (2).png

This looks like a Stereo WAV file to me. Stereo is 2 channels and that is what I am seeing in tour picture. Mono is one channel and you would only see a single wav file, not a left and right channel as you posted.

Sorry for not being clear.   The bottom track is a reference track I'm using.    Yes, that's in stereo.

The track above it is the one I'm trying to record in stereo, and it's not doing it.   The meter shows that only 1 side is recording.    

It could be my interface or my Yamaha keyboard.   But up until switching to CbB they have worked.

Edited by greg54

Thanks for clarifying this.  Does it make a difference that Track 13 - BG Vox is being recorded from Lft . . . and Track 14 - solo guitar is being recorded from Rgh . . . ?

When I used to record analog audio from synths, I used a stereo pair for input to my sound card.  Just wondering here if the use of a mono input makes a difference. I defer to others who still record analog.

image.png.b30799997c50c933b7b1d4914a0a3a2d.png

Recording the Left and Right outputs from a synth/etc to separate tracks allows a bit more control (without using additional plugins like Channel-Tools).

• You can pan hard left/right... or collapse the stereo image
  • You can have separate processing on the left and right channels
  • You can control the level of the left and right channels (independently)

There's no right/wrong... just a matter of which is more convenient.

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for clarifying this.  Does it make a difference that Track 13 - BG Vox is being recorded from Lft . . . and Track 14 - solo guitar is being recorded from Rgh . . . ?

When I used to record analog audio from synths, I used a stereo pair for input to my sound card.  Just wondering here if the use of a mono input makes a difference. I defer to others who still record analog.

image.png.b30799997c50c933b7b1d4914a0a3a2d.png

I record mono with it dead center.  I pan after I record.

43 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

If your audio interface has a control panel with input channel meters:

Play the keyboard and look at those input meters.

If you only see a single channel via the input meter, the issue is keyboard/cable (outside of Cakewalk).

Thanks, Jim.   I have a Solid State Logic SSL2.    The meters don't show left or right.   

SSL2.png

1 minute ago, greg54 said:

Thanks, Jim.   I have a Solid State Logic SSL2.    The meters don't show left or right. 

If the keyboard is connected to channels 1 and 2... and signal is getting from the keyboard to the SSL-2,  you should be seeing those input meters firing.

As a test, connect an instrument cable to the SSL-2... and touch the tip of the 1/4" (unconnected) other end.  You should see activity on the input meter.

Try this in both Channel 1 and Channel 2.  You may need to raise the gain knob a little... but it should spike when touching the unconnected 1/4" tip.

If you have a Mic, test each channel in the same manner (connected via XLR).  

If you can't see input signal at all (even with gain increased), I suspect the SSL-2 is defective.

On your keyboard, make sure MIDI Local is enabled.  Otherwise, you'll hear no sound when playing the keys.

If it's off, you'll need to setup a MIDI track in Cakewalk, and make sure Input Echo is enabled on that MIDI track.

MIDI Local control is a means of (electronically) separating the MIDI keyboard from the tone-generator (to avoid double-triggered MIDI notes when sequencing).

There's some confusion it what yours saying so I'll just go through the "how to record in stereo." 

You plug the left and right audio cables into Channel 1 and channel 2 of your interface and set the levels. 

In Cakewalk you insert a new audio track and you choose the Solid state Logic  ASIO stereo driver 1 as the input. This combines the Left and right into a stereo track. 

The way some people do this is they insert 2 new audio tracks and choose  Left SSL ASIO Driver 1 for 1 track and the Right SSL ASIO driver 1 for the other. This gives you more options for processing the signals and mixing. Example placing the instrument in the stereo field. 

8 minutes ago, John Vere said:

There's some confusion it what yours saying so I'll just go through the "how to record in stereo." 

You plug the left and right audio cables into Channel 1 and channel 2 of your interface and set the levels. 

In Cakewalk you insert a new audio track and you choose the Solid state Logic  ASIO stereo driver 1 as the input. This combines the Left and right into a stereo track. 

The way some people do this is they insert 2 new audio tracks and choose  Left SSL ASIO Driver 1 for 1 track and the Right SSL ASIO driver 1 for the other. This gives you more options for processing the signals and mixing. Example placing the instrument in the stereo field. 

I have everything set to record for stereo.   I plug the cable from the left of my keyboard into the left input of the interface and the right cable from my keyboard into the right input of the interface.   I set it to stereo in Cakewalk, as my first photo shows.   And I record a single stereo track.   It's the way I've always done it, and it's always worked fine.   Since switching to CbB I have had issues, and this is just another one.   

It could very well be my interface, but first I want to make sure it's not something in CbB that's causing it.  

I'm curious as I was looking at that interface as a possible upgrade to my collection which are getting very outdated. Is the ASIO driver not functioning properly? 

They are sort of new to the game and often companies don't put enough development into the driver resulting in issues. RME, Motu, Focusrite and Tascam seem to be companies that seems to put a lot of development into drivers.