Please help open up Cakewalk for more flexibility.

Will.

I'm just going to keep on annoyingly asking everytime the same things until someone answer LOL. My requests are never for nothing. Reason is - the biggest genre's out there, is your EDM; Future Bass; HipHop; Dance and House genres - and to not be limited to only three sidechain methods by the daw itself is ridiculous and should be catered for. 

As stated in one of my previous posts, it's the ability to route the input of an Audio or Aux track to every other track inserts. Right now, this is only possible with "Instrument tracks." and to be able to do different kind of "Side chain" such as a dedicated side-chain track, is extremely important.

To try to understand what i mean. . . Create an instrument track and record something. Insert an "audio track" and route it's "input" to your instrument track - voila! Another form of "Side chain" and a Wet/Dry track. 

I hate running to pro tools every time I have to work with these genre's and methods - as I've been extremely comfortable in CbB workflow for years.

Thanks.  

Are you wanting to add a send on an audio track and route it to the input on another audio track? 

If so, that's not an insert, which has an entirely different use. I'll accept that it's close enough to a side-chain, that the term works. 

If that's what you're looking for, what's wrong with aux tracks? 

image.png.d0debd697f88e5c6214833492fe24895.png

If this isn't what you're looking for, I'm gonna need a better description as to what exact routing you're asking for and why. Maybe draw it out. 

Looking at your other post, it appears you want to control wet and dry signal independently. The way this has been achieved many times before is to use a pre-fade send to an aux bus (or now - an aux track). 

Dry track
  -> pre-fade send to wet track / bus 

You have control over both. 

11 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

Are you wanting to add a send on an audio track and route it to the input on another audio track? 

If so, that's not an insert, which has an entirely different use. I'll accept that it's close enough to a side-chain, that the term works. 

If that's what you're looking for, what's wrong with aux tracks? 

image.png.d0debd697f88e5c6214833492fe24895.png

If this isn't what you're looking for, I'm gonna need a better description as to what exact routing you're asking for and why. Maybe draw it out. 

No this not it, but I hear what you say. To get a better understand - insert an instrument track, than create an audio track and route the audio tracks input to the intrument track. It is another way of sidechain or for a wet and dry effect. I'll insert a video/Gif. Just bare with me. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, scook said:

For now, use patch points to send audio from one track to another. Patch points may be created in the output and sends on one track and accessed in the input of other audio tracks.

Aux tracks are based on patch points.

Thanks. Scook. I'm familiar with it, yes. It's not as powerful though. I have another way to do Aux and Vocals that way - it's just a longer way and 4/5 tracks later just for this method/effect. 

15 minutes ago, scook said:

no

But don't worry about it.

Okay, here's the deal. If I send the track through a pre-fader, it gets me close to what I'm trying to explain - In fact the effect feels a bit too much and big which is good.  If I lower the levels to try and blend the two signals together, the overall effect feels as if, it go sit's underneath (after) the mixed track - like what a "Post fader" would do. That's how it cut's through my monitors. That's what I'm getting as I'm playing around with this right now, to not jump the gun here. 

With direct routing there's more balance feel cutting through, even with the copy being send as shown in the video. 

The pre-fader works for the job I'm going for, but it acts as a "effect" instead of direct. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve and I make electronic music all the time for music libraries for TV etc.  including EDM

Different People, Different Producers, Different Mixing Engineers, Different Styles, Different Workflow, Different approaches. It's that simple. There's no right or wrong way, only limitations. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Never said there was , just want to know what you are trying to achieve that you feel you can't

It's not that I can't.  I think that's where the miscommunication comes in. There's Aux Tracks/Patch points and Pre-faders sends too. That being said, In my control room, through my monitors, this routing insert sounds true in the form of a wet/dry/parallel or sidechain track - especially riding automation. It just sounds direct. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

On 10/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, scook said:

The audio signal from a soft synth and a pre-fader patch point have the same routing (cf. the signal flow diagram).

one thing i noticed - the surround panner is missing in the diagram on the surround section box... probably needs an update... @Noel Borthwick 🙂

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Mixing.07.html

Edited by Glenn Stanton