Humble Bundle Be a Creative Superhero! With Painter, CorelCAD and CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2020

aidan o driscoll

22 hours ago, abacab said:

I think that the Corel developers must use the latest Windows programming libraries to advance their latest products with the latest new features that were not available on earlier versions  of the OS. You were lucky that just updating your current OS resolved your issues!

Yes, I almost went down a different track, submitting support tickets and reinstalling etc all stuff that could have gone on forever, the sort of complaints I see all over the internet. I wonder how many of them just needed to update their OS.

17 hours ago, Mesh said:

Thanks Antler!

I'm not set on getting the tablet, but thought that was a requirement  or at least a better way   to do digital art no?

What  are some other choices? 

I am looking at the tablets as well but at this point I don't see much point in getting a tablet and having this software on my computer if I can't even draw! I've decided to go down a different route that apparently some graphic artists use. Since I already have a scanner, I have decided to do my sketches on A4 paper and then scan them into Paintshop Pro and painter as line art as I just want to do cartoons. 

The advantage is, I can download the drawing tutorial files off Youtube, play them on the TV and copy what they are doing on to a sheet of A4 paper attached to a clipboard while sitting on the lounge. I am pretty blown away by watching how the professionals draw, all the rules and what can be produced. A lot of it is just way beyond my current capabilities. I am at this level at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtforKidsHub

They have little projects 5 - 15 mins. Then of course, Youtube is packed full of more drawing tutorials right up to extremely advanced.

@Tezza   I mainly used Coreldraw for page layouts, photo editing and very little actual drawing. My daughter has used youtube videos to teach herself how to draw. I think she started watching them when she was eight. She is now 17 years old.  She still rather draw on paper and not her 2n1 active-pen capable laptop.   I'm still amazed how much she learned by watching those videos. She would watch them for hours pausing them and slowly learning the techniques.  

I had a customer in store that whated information and I told him it would take me to long to explain how to do it and I know there are 2 excellent youtube videos online. I pulled them up and he went home and watched them. Came back and then we were able to have an  informed chat on which way to proceed with what he wanted to do. Sometimes I get insults telling me I don't want to help them. I do but it is like a student learning chords when they can't even find middle C on the piano.

@InstrEd  Yes, your daughter must be good now, drawing can be a beneficial skill in whatever you do. I've always been unable to draw, everything I tried looked really bad. An unsympathetic High School Art teacher who used to berate me didn't help, and then Trade School as a mechanic had to draw gearbox parts etc I was ridiculed. Even when I went to Uni and had to draw animals for Biology, I was laughed at. If I ever had to draw anything, it would immediately cause anxiety. I think my grades at High School, Trade School and Uni would have all been a bit better if I could have just been able to draw better, so having that skill will come in handy for your daughter.

I just want to be able to do line art style cartoons and characters so that they can be inserted in the documents I write. It's one thing to copy from an artist, next thing is making up your own but I am pleasantly surprised at my progress. Also, get my skills up to a level on Youtube where I won't be an embarrassment when I attend the drawing classes.

Edited by Tezza