Humble Bundle Be a Creative Superhero! With Painter, CorelCAD and CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2020

aidan o driscoll

I wonder how this compares with the Rebelle bundle they had on sale a while ago. I bought that one for my girlfriend who keeps saying she likes/wants to draw but never does. If this is an even better deal, it might be worth getting just to push her further down that guilt trip. Heck, this might even get me Falcon for my upcoming birthday, if I play my cards right.

walter2.jpg.7a172030385cf3fea17deaa6d5686315.jpg

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

What progams do those brushes work in?? Just CorelDraw?

As far as I know, the brush packs only work in Painter and Painter ParticleShop, and they are additions to the factory brushes. These applications are bitmap editors, and the brushes let you paint pen and brush strokes and effects on bitmaps.

[Edit] Since ParticleShop can also be a plug-in to other graphics apps, this is an update to correct some information previously posted. This text appears in the ParticleShop help file:

ParticleShop is installed automatically in the plug-in folders of the following applications: Adobe CS5, Adobe CS6, Adobe CC Suite 2014 and
later, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 and later, CorelDRAW Technical Suite X7 and later, Corel PaintShop Pro X6 and later. In Corel AfterShot
3 and Corel AfterShot Pro 3, you need to set ParticleShop as an external editor. For information on setting ParticleShop as an external editor,
see External Editor preferences in the Corel AfterShot Help.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

I wonder how this compares with the Rebelle bundle they had on sale a while ago. I bought that one for my girlfriend who keeps saying she likes/wants to draw but never does. If this is an even better deal, it might be worth getting just to push her further down that guilt trip. Heck, this might even get me Falcon for my upcoming birthday, if I play my cards right.

walter2.jpg.7a172030385cf3fea17deaa6d5686315.jpg

The painter program is on another level.  However just throwing money away if she never  used  Rebelle - which is a fine program.  

35 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Has anyone who has bought this bundle found out how much it is to upgrade Aftershot 3 standard to Aftershot 3 pro? There might be some offer available from within Aftershot 3 standard once it is installed.

When you run Aftershot 3 Standard, you will get an offer to upgrade to Pro for $19.99.

With Pro you get enhanced adjustments, catalogs, enhanced controls, HDR (high dynamic range), curves and histogram, advanced color correction, balance, and tint, advanced import/export, soft proofing, and more.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Abacab, yes, the standard version misses out a lot of what you really need in the RAW conversion engine but that sounds fine. Just deciding whether I want to go for the Painter as well. My drawing skills are pretty bad, I've always wanted to improve my drawing for some of the stuff I do especially cartoon type characters, but thought it was a skill beyond me. I just quickly did this guys seminar though and was quite surprised how quick it came together to do something simple.

Being able to draw can have all sorts of benefits for designing your own website graphics, CD covers/on-line product boxes, film storyboards (mine are terrible!) etc There are plenty of great videos on youtube and after a bit of research, I discovered there are group drawing classes at a local community center and art class for just $3.00 - $12.00 for 1hr.

Could be a great skill for anyone to add for a little dosh and a bit of practice.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Thanks Abacab, yes, the standard version misses out a lot of what you really need in the RAW conversion engine but that sounds fine. Just deciding whether I want to go for the Painter as well. My drawing skills are pretty bad, I've always wanted to improve my drawing for some of the stuff I do especially cartoon type characters, but thought it was a skill beyond me. I just quickly did this guys seminar though and was quite surprised how quick it came together to do something simple.

Being able to draw can have all sorts of benefits for designing your own website graphics, CD covers/on-line product boxes, film storyboards (mine are terrible!) etc There are plenty of great videos on youtube and after a bit of research, I discovered there are group drawing classes at a local community center and art class for just $3.00 - $12.00 for 1hr.

Could be a great skill for anyone to add for a little dosh and a bit of practice.

There is also the possibility to learn "Painter for Photographers", without the need for existing painting or drawing skills. Just the desire to be creative and turn your photos into works of art. Well, realizing that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, LOL!

Painter for Photo Artists

https://learn.corel.com/painting-tutorials/digital-painting-tutorials/Painter-for-Photo-Artists/

An example from an older version of Painter:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abacab said:

When you run Aftershot 3 Standard, you will get an offer to upgrade to Pro for $19.99.

With Pro you get enhanced adjustments, catalogs, enhanced controls, HDR (high dynamic range), curves and histogram, advanced color correction, balance, and tint, advanced import/export, soft proofing, and more.

Related: Every now and then I need to resize a huge number of photos, and sometimes I also need to fix their orientation and do some color correction. I have used XnView to bulk resize and rotate them, but it can't analyze the photos and adjust their colors automatically.

Could Aftershot or Aftershot Pro help me in this? I don't need perfect results, just better than the original.

12 hours ago, abacab said:

As far as I know, the brush packs only work in Painter and Painter ParticleShop, and they are additions to the factory brushes.

I can confirm that the brushes work in ParticleShop, which can be inserted as a plugin in for Corel Paintshop. I had to read a wiki on how to do it, but I managed in the end. You cannot use the brushes in Photoshop alone.

Edited by Philip G Hunt

9 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I can confirm that the brushes work in ParticleShop, which can be inserted as a plugin in for Corel Paintshop. I had to read a wiki on how to do it, but I managed in the end. You cannot use the brushes in Photoshop alone.

Good to know, and that makes sense as PaintShop has some plugin ability.

I found this in the ParticleShop help files, so it would seem to also apply to the Corel Painter Brush Packs that work in ParticleShop:

ParticleShop is installed automatically in the plug-in folders of the following applications: Adobe CS5, Adobe CS6, Adobe CC Suite 2014 and
later, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 and later, CorelDRAW Technical Suite X7 and later, Corel PaintShop Pro X6 and later. In Corel AfterShot
3 and Corel AfterShot Pro 3, you need to set ParticleShop as an external editor. For information on setting ParticleShop as an external editor,
see External Editor preferences in the Corel AfterShot Help.

Edited by abacab

14 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

Related: Every now and then I need to resize a huge number of photos, and sometimes I also need to fix their orientation and do some color correction. I have used XnView to bulk resize and rotate them, but it can't analyze the photos and adjust their colors automatically.

Could Aftershot or Aftershot Pro help me in this? I don't need perfect results, just better than the original.

Pro has batch output, and the initial setup comes with a few batches already setup for image resize or file type. You can customize or add your own batches and optionally add preset effects that you want to apply to all images in the batch. I'm not sure if it can analyze the photos, so I assume it just runs the batch as a script, applying the same presets to each. You would probably want to run through the camera roll yourself, analyze and apply any needed corrections to individual photos, then batch any changes that would apply to all.

This video covers some of the basics.

• Thanks 1

I set my D drive for caching and suddenly brush folders showed up on it (when installed). Same folders are where they should be so I moved contents over. Not sure if this is associated with a Painter 21 predeployment or something. There was an install record for Painter 21 on that D drive (deleted it), and also a Painter 21 folder where the brushes should be. Not had any issues of recurrence of running 2020 after. I am not sure if this is a bug in the caching feature, and couldn't find any reference to this online. Anyone else seen this?

Edited by mettelus
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mettelus said:

I set my D drive for caching and suddenly brush folders showed up on it (when installed). Same folders are where they should be so I moved contents over. Not sure if this is associated with a Painter 21 predeployment or something. There was an install record for Painter 21 on that D drive (deleted it), and also a Painter 21 folder where the brushes should be. Not had any issues of recurrence of running 2020 after. I am not sure if this is a bug in the caching feature, and couldn't find any reference to this online. Anyone else seen this?

I had the same issue.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mettelus said:

I leave all of my applications entirely on my C drive (500GB SSD), except where they explicitly let me point to additional content or libraries on another path such as D (1TB SSD). I run into less weird sh*t that way.  So no, I didn't see that...YMMV.

Edited by abacab

Thanks guys. I was looking for this issue online and not seen anyone mention it, but it using that drive made me assume it was linked to the cache setting. It may be a side effect of the brush packs themselves since they are for all versions, and 2021 is out on the streets. I just found it odd they used the cache location rather than side-by-side with where 2020 installs. In fact, there is a 2021 brush folder there, but they went on the cache drive. Oh well, moving them didn't affect 2020 in the slightest. I actually do not like they have brushes separated by Painter version anyway.

My C drive is only 250GB, so I am pretty strict on pathing with temp files. This Painter cache seems intended as a pagefile (not seen it used yet), but every other program has a temp working directory. That is far easier to consolidate and purge them as needed.

Upside, I ended up getting an XP-Pen Deco Pro (small) to use with Rebelle 3, but that needed special setups to get full use from with Escape Emotions software. On Painter 2020, the Deco Pro just works without any configuration changes. It even shows brush tilt with the cursor which is a nice feature.

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

Thanks guys. I was looking for this issue online and not seen anyone mention it, but it using that drive made me assume it was linked to the cache setting. It may be a side effect of the brush packs themselves since they are for all versions, and 2021 is out on the streets. I just found it odd they used the cache location rather than side-by-side with where 2020 installs. In fact, there is a 2021 brush folder there, but they went on the cache drive. Oh well, moving them didn't affect 2020 in the slightest. I actually do not like they have brushes separated by Painter version anyway.

I found that the brushes installed on my audio samples drive - I assumed it just used the drive with the most space available. Where is the cache setting? I looked everywhere in the Preferences, but I couldn't find it.

17 hours ago, antler said:

I found that the brushes installed on my audio samples drive - I assumed it just used the drive with the most space available. Where is the cache setting? I looked everywhere in the Preferences, but I couldn't find it.

It is actually called "Scratch Drive" and is listed under Edit->Preferences->Performance. Near the bottom is a drop down that only lists drives. Mine was default to C:\ initially. Is it pointed to your audio sample drive there?