My First Cakewalk by Bandlab Recording

Larry Jones

Since it's the holidaze, I chose a Christmas song -- "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" recorded by Darlene Love, originally released in 1962. I paid homage to the producer (Phil Spector) by cluttering it up with as many tracks as possible.

By the way, I had no trouble with Cakewalk by Bandlab. Everything worked as expected, and I probably will not go back to my SONAR Platinum. And even though this is a Christmas song, presented here at Christmastime, I know some of you Scrooges will comment on the technical aspects. I welcome your criticism.

I should note that I used a few of the techniques I learned from this thread to make the MIDI drums sound more realistic. I used Addictive Drums' randomization features, and I played some of it "live" on my Nektar Impact LX61+ drum pads. Anybody notice anything?

PS: Crossposting this on the old SONAR  Songs forum.

Edited by Larry Jones
  • Like 1

Larry,
I don't think I've ever heard the original version of the song. Yours has that sound typical of the era - the Phil Spector touch - which always takes me back to those times. Nicely done.
And thanks for posting the link to all the helpful drum programming techniques, something I've been getting into lately. I guess I didn't notice anything that stood out in your drum track.

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

Larry,
I don't think I've ever heard the original version of the song. Yours has that sound typical of the era - the Phil Spector touch - which always takes me back to those times. Nicely done.
And thanks for posting the link to all the helpful drum programming techniques, something I've been getting into lately. I guess I didn't notice anything that stood out in your drum track.

Thanks for your input. The original version is here. And that drum programming thread gets my vote as one of the most creative and useful on the old forum.

Great! Really well done, enjoyed this a lot! The only nit I have is that because you're going for that 60's wall of sound thing, your lead vocals are bit too forward and a bit too high fi.

But that's just a niggly little thing. This is a really good version of this tune,  you should be proud of it.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Great! Really well done, enjoyed this a lot! The only nit I have is that because you're going for that 60's wall of sound thing, your lead vocals are bit too forward and a bit too high fi.

But that's just a niggly little thing. This is a really good version of this tune,  you should be proud of it.

Hey Kevin! I had trouble singing this. I had a complete, comped "high-energy" vocal that would have worked well sunk back into the track, but I decided to go with a gentle, "sincere" vocal. In the end I just had to admit to myself that I'm not the singer I thought I was.

Happy New Year!

4 minutes ago, Larry Jones said:

Hey Kevin! I had trouble singing this. I had a complete, comped "high-energy" vocal that would have worked well sunk back into the track, but I decided to go with a gentle, "sincere" vocal. In the end I just had to admit to myself that I'm not the singer I thought I was.

Happy New Year!

Sounds great to me, real Leon Russell vibe happening there. 

3 hours ago, dcumpian said:

Really great job getting that 60's sound in this song Larry!

Dan

Thanks Dan! I think of it not as a 60s sound, but as a 1960 - 1963 sound. Phil Spector's wall of sound effect, which was great for about fifteen minutes, but wore out its welcome pretty quick. It happened mainly because Phil never met a musical instrument or echo chamber that he didn't want to include on his records. That was my operating philosophy on this one. 60 tracks and four echo chambers. It would have been bigger, but I ran out of time.😎