Talking about wild fires

Michael Vogel

Really feel for all you guys affected by wild fires. (Inspired by the beginning part of the locked thread)

It’s early spring here while we make our plans, preparing our properties in anticipation of our next round of bush fires here down under in Australia. All due to kick off all too soon.

Usually have a reciprocal arrangement with you guys and help one another out with personnel. Not sure what COVID’s done and doing to those plans. I remember too, the sad loss of human life last year, particularly the US flight crew lost over here just helping out. It capped off a terrible bush fire season for us where so many come together from the opposite sides of the earth and our distant areas within our own country to help total strangers. Not strangers for long though as they battle so many unwinnable fires.

Take care guys.

• Thanks 3

i've had one burning at the top of my neighborhood for almost 2 weeks now...

60 acres, and 200 fire fighters working in the most steep and untouchable terrain possible,

and they still only have it 35% contained. 

lightning hit a tree (dry lightning, never even saw or heard it), and it's like kindling up there.

we have not had one drop of rain since june 30 here....

since the threat to the super expensive houses at the top of the neighborhood is low,

no evac plans issued yet. they are being patient.

but i've been breathing toxic smoke fumes for over a month now, from washington and oregon, california, and now here (salt lake city)

i don't think my lungs will ever recover, and i haven't been able to sing in a month.

Sorry to hear this Bat. It's a travesty for sure. In thoughts and prayers. Doesn't seem too serious there yet. *thankfully* Hope you get your voice back again.

This is maybe a future thought for a future time, but I'll be darned if I would build my house out of wood in those parts. Stick built homes are pretty common everywhere in the US. Even homes that look like stone are simply resin coated wood structures. Better yet, underground houses.  Lots of homes in California are stucco with a ceramic roof are they not? Stucco isn't the same as solid stone or concrete though. It's just a wood structure with a coating. That would seem to offer at least some protection.

Here in the east almost all houses are stick frames with vinyl siding. Once it catches , there isn't much you can do unless the fire company gets there  FAST and strategically hits the fire. I lived through a house fire once and it was amazing the amount of heat even at 50ft away.  All they could do was knock holes on the roof and dowse it. Total loss. 

In this case, if the fire gets close it isn't like you can always run to safety. A grim reminder of how very fragile most things in general are.

Edited by Starise

I spent 5 weeks in Australia in our fall, your spring 2018, before the fires in a class B camper van. I started in Brisbane, up to Cape Trib, over to Darwin, down the Steward hwy to Kangaroo Island and meandered over to Sydney.

We saw tons of great scenery, enjoyed your cities, and saw all the wildlife species on our list (cassowary, platypus, echidna, dingo, kangaroo, wallaby, penguin, lyretail, koala salties, and so much more).

However what I like most about Oz were the people. We met scores of friendly, cheerful, and helpful people -- not a sourpuss in all 5 weeks.

I could move to Australia if someone would adopt us :D

Anyway, my heart cried when I read about your fires. Good luck this season.

Insights and incites by Notes

23 hours ago, Bapu said:

I've heard there's at least one person in our country who thinks the problem is not enough raking going on. 9_9

I heard from a well educated doctor (went to T University) that it was a rather large lady named Aunt Ifa and a hot can of soup.  Many people have said this, so it must be true.  

...I'll show myself out...

Here's a bit of uplifting news about the fires. A 5 year old sent a baby Yoda doll to the local fire fighters donation center.

"A 5-year-old Oregon boy and his grandmother delivered a toy version of the pointy-eared Force user to a donation center for firefighters on Sept. 12 along with a note that read: “Here is a friend for you in case you get lonely.” Since then, Baby Yoda has been to four wildfires in two states, ridden in helicopters, checked people’s temperatures for COVID-19 symptoms, and even used “the Force” to move a firefighting tool known as a pulaski."

Full article at
https://www.registerguard.com/story/news/2020/10/01/spreading-force-baby-yoda-provides-boost-western-firefighters/5881512002/

There is a Facebook page to see all the places Baby Yoda has been "helping out".

https://www.facebook.com/Baby-yoda-fights-fires-105042248019357/

• Like 3