Crashing when more than 1 project open

2 minutes ago, razor7music said:

asymmetrical RAM...hmmm

Yeah, I noticed that. It could well be the issue.

All RAM sticks should be exactly the same capacity and speed.

RAM issues can be a nightmare to track down because they're so intermittent, but this seems an obvious one.

I'd recommend ditching the 1GB stick.

5 minutes ago, molly townsend said:

Sorry to be so thick ....  but here me being just that! I have no idea what asymmetrical RAM is? Or ,why it’s bad or what would be better???

However if someone could just tell me what I need to replace it that would be great!

Thank you

All your RAM sticks need to be the same.

So just remove the smaller one, or replace it with one EXACTLY the same as the other one.

RAM is pretty cheap these days. If your wallet, and your rig can handle it, I recommend going to 16 GBs. You might not need it, but the headroom I've had has been very nice with some of the sample libraries I use.

Just my opinion. I'm sure someone here has just as many examples of why 16 GBs of RAM isn't necessary--but I've been very happy with 16.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, molly townsend said:

Sorry to be so thick ....  but here me being just that! I have no idea what asymmetrical RAM is? Or ,why it’s bad or what would be better???

However if someone could just tell me what I need to replace it that would be great!

Thank you

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? Off-the-shelf or custom built? What is the brand? Do you know how many slots your motherboard has for RAM? If it's a desktop it's pretty easy to replace the RAM (memory).  Take the case apart and look for something like these, which will be plugged into  the motherboard. 

_RAMSTIK.JPG

Don't know how you ended up with 9GB of memory, but standard best practice is to use an even number. In your case I like @razor7music's suggestion above: Get 16GB. This might mean you'll have to buy a couple of 8GB "sticks," but they are pretty affordable these days and it will make a big difference in your DAW.

This is all more difficult on laptops because they're tiny and everything inside is proprietary, but either way this is a very minor bit of mechanics, and if you're not comfortable doing it yourself any PC technician can do it for you in a few minutes. Try to find a small shop, instead of some big chain store where they keep your PC for three weeks and overcharge you.

EDIT: Not all RAM is the same. If you're going to do this yourself, pull out the ones that are in there and use them to make sure you get the right kind for your computer. I'm not enough of an expert to say more on this, but surely someone will be along here soon to give you more information.

Edited by Larry Jones
formatting
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just mad the switch from SPLAT to CbB and tried to open more than one project (which was no problem with SPLAT) and had the same issue...My RAM is fine, and my PC has similar specs...because SPLAT was able to handle multiple projects, I suspect it's a Cakewalk issue...