Friday Night Interlude (Jus Me U and the Widescreen)

Bill Campbell

Bill , Nice clean groove and as usual your guitar work is Excellent! I think if you doubled some of the keyboard lines with a clean toned guitar it would really boost this one. The lead guitar tone you had on the last song you posted would work great on this one   Enjoyed it ...    mark

• Like 1

Nice cool groove again @Bill Campbell very clean mix nice and open, though it does sound a little centric here on the Adam's I can hear you have widened the EP support I just wonder if the leads could do with a touch of Pan or widening and/or stage positioning themselves.

I will add this did make the furry ears smile for the start. 

• Like 1

Wow, sorry I'm so late catching up to the comments here.   It's been a busy few weeks.  Thanks all.  I agree with all the comments here although I thought I made the percussion track a little too hot with this one.   Every time I get a new piece of gear I get all excited and overdo it. 😉 This time its the TR8S.  I really need constant 'adult' supervision! 🙂

Thanks jwnicholson78!  I started getting a little better at this when I stopped trying to mimic my idols and just play what I feel.  I still think some of my ideas on the 'keys' are unsophisticated.  But for now its just I chance I take.  Maybe folks won't will giggle at me too much...  😁

• Like 1

Keys work, percussion is just a smidge too hot, lead guitar tone is a bit thin.

However, friggin great groove, some very worth improv, and probably needs a "B" section at least. I think you have the embryo all figured out - keep working and adding, this groove it totally worth it!!!

And most importantly: where is the smooth, tastefully percolating bass guitar??? An absolute must for this!!!

I really liked it.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

We all paint different pictures..
But to me there seems to be a lot of compression on the percussion and keys...  or comes across that way anyway.  (levels don't change) and pull up the volume on the lead guitar!
Give it a bass part and it will kick *****!!

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Keys work, percussion is just a smidge too hot, lead guitar tone is a bit thin.

However, friggin great groove, some very worth improv, and probably needs a "B" section at least. I think you have the embryo all figured out - keep working and adding, this groove it totally worth it!!!

And most importantly: where is the smooth, tastefully percolating bass guitar??? An absolute must for this!!!

I really liked it.

cheers,

-Tom

LOL!  Thanks...   Definitely agree on the thin lead tone and lack of bass.  But would it be weird to change it after so many have already heard it this way?   I dunno probably just the way my twisted brain works!   Maybe I should give it a shot...

10 hours ago, garybrun said:

We all paint different pictures..
But to me there seems to be a lot of compression on the percussion and keys...  or comes across that way anyway.  (levels don't change) and pull up the volume on the lead guitar!
Give it a bass part and it will kick *****!!

Excellent suggestions!   Thanks.  As for the compression I've got this LA2A vst I'm enamored with so yes I tend to dial that sucker too far at times.  As mentioned I need constant adult supervision!  😉

On 9/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, Jesse Screed said:

cool

like the keys for sure

the drums are so retro

very interesting piece

please explain the process of recording

like, how did you do that?

OK?

more data needed

I wrote the chord progression and the melody first quite awhile ago.  A friend asked me to create something for a singer demo he was working on.  He didn't like it. <grin>   Which was cool.  But I kinda shelved it for a long time.  Then I got a new drum machine and started playing with that.  I wrote a completely different song around the rhythm arrangement.  Which I then decided I didn't like. <grin again...>  Then I wondered if the keyboard loop I created earlier and the drum loop would work together.  It didn't.  But it gave me ideas.  A lot of the comments here have convinced me to rework it again.  So maybe I'll have an update to post here soon.

One thing I learned awhile back is if you ever find yourself in the studio not feeling particularly inspired.   You should use that time to do what I call 'music administrivia'   Things like build a templates in Cbb to ease you workflow or read a manual for that piece of gear can really make the time when you do feel creative a lot more productive. 

So I guess as for process as 'garybrun' just mentioned we "all paint different pictures"...  For me I have to be pretty organized so when I'm writing the technical stuff doesn't  get in the way.  That kind of stuff drives me absolutely crazy... 😉

Edited by Bill Campbell