Adding Amplifiers, FX chains w/my own VST's

David Weddle

6 hours ago, David Weddle said:

I want the output of a midi instrument, to route to a stack of FX that are AUDIO FX. 

Yes, I understand.

At its core, Cakewalk has two track types: audio and MIDI.

A complete soft synth routing in Cakewalk consists of a MIDI track sending data to the soft synth and and audio track receiving the audio signal from the soft synth.

One or more audio effects may be placed into the audio track FX rack or ProChannel.

There is a third hybrid track called a simple instrument track. A simple instrument track is a presentation of a MIDI track input section and an audio track output section. It looks like a single track, taking up the same space as a basic audio or MIDI track. In fact, a simple instrument track may be split into its constituent audio and MIDI tracks. Alternately, an audio+MIDI track pair may be merged into an instrument track.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:11 AM, David Weddle said:

Well, I am using Midi Files.

When opening a MIDI file using the method I described above, Cakewalk creates MIDI tracks to host the MIDI data routed to an instance of TTS-1 which has its audio output routed to an audio track. Because all the audio is mixed into a single audio stream by TTS-1, I suspect you will want to route some of the audio to different audio track or add additional synths and audio tracks so that different effects may be used on different instruments. 

If the comment about using MIDI files refers to MIDI loops and not complete MIDI performances, typically MIDI loops are imported into projects where the soft synths and their tracks are already setup. Often the import is done by simply dropping the MIDI clips into instrument or MIDI tracks in the project.

Regardless, adding audio effects must happen where audio exists in the DAW, The audio output from a MIDI instrument is either going to be in dedicated audio or simple instrument tracks. Both audio tracks and simple instrument tracks have two places to add audio FX, their audio FX rack and ProChannel. There is also an FX rack in every clip in Cakewalk but lets save that for another discussion.

• Like 1