'Cut itself' like feature for 808s

Arabic Dude

Okay. So there's this feature called 'Cut itself' in FL studio. It basically stops playing an instrument/sound if 2 notes are close to each other, and the timeline reaches the second note. (In the piano roll view).

I would like to use the feature for 808s. The mix gets really muddy with 2 808 notes playing over each other. 

I have tried Tx16wx and quite a few other samplers but they don't seem to have this either. 

I'd appreciate some help :)

If i had 2 midi notes I didn’t want to overlap sound at the same time i would shorten the midi notes in piano roll view. If i had 2 audio i would split off some of the notes in track view then apply a fade out to smooth its ending, or i would open the audio into melodyne and shorten/adjust the blobs (and can fade with version studio 5)

On 9/30/2020 at 12:32 AM, Nigel Mackay said:

Your answer is in your opening statement "there's this feature in FL Studio." Different sampler won't help. It is an FL Studio feature. And no, it doesn't exist in Cakewalk, so you will have to edit. @treesha has made two suggestions as to method.

Thats bad.. Sometimes you just want notes held longer without note overlaps making it muddy.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, treesha said:

If i had 2 midi notes I didn’t want to overlap sound at the same time i would shorten the midi notes in piano roll view. If i had 2 audio i would split off some of the notes in track view then apply a fade out to smooth its ending, or i would open the audio into melodyne and shorten/adjust the blobs (and can fade with version studio 5)

I see. Thanks :)

depending on the material, you could use the "process effects" to shorten the length of selected notes (say you have 20 notes) and reduce by 50% (etc) to eliminate an overlap (esp for percussion, bass, and triggered effects) where the shorten length is not obvious for impacting the sounds.

image.png.6cf79b2d48117f0b3cc6acdefab087af.png

image.png.d1845d752b532edbdbb1002efae3d03c.png

image.png.9f50d8fb6d715f15d0c657f40dce1a60.png

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:14 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

depending on the material, you could use the "process effects" to shorten the length of selected notes (say you have 20 notes) and reduce by 50% (etc) to eliminate an overlap (esp for percussion, bass, and triggered effects) where the shorten length is not obvious for impacting the sounds.

image.png.6cf79b2d48117f0b3cc6acdefab087af.png

image.png.d1845d752b532edbdbb1002efae3d03c.png

image.png.9f50d8fb6d715f15d0c657f40dce1a60.png

Yeah, I think reducing the length seems to be the only option in Cakewalk. :(

My question was for long 808s that overlap. I think gliding could help but I don't see the 'wheel' option on the list for some reason.