Ik Multimedia MIXBOX : my take on it !!

Zo

Ok guyz , grab drink and chill with me on this one ;)

I show when and how i consider using it , you will understand why i do think this one is a must have for any producer and how it's not redundant with other ik titles !!

1) Intro

2) All fun @ 3min : production stage use : drums , synth bass, synths !!

3) Conclusion @ 56.40 min

Guest : Softube monoment bass, Sugarbytes Looperator , Vertigo VSC 3 , Sonnox Limter, TR5 Opto and quad imager .

The pic is my conlusion ;) 

I will quote myself by saying MIXBOX versus Track and amplitube  : 

"For me it's 2 diff philosophy !! It's like a different articulation on an instrument !!"

Conclusion.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11
  • Great Idea 2

Good video so far Zo. I am at work right now so I don't want to watch the whole thing over cellular. Was going to just start watching it, just for a few minutes. Next thing I know I am almost half way through it!!

Really like that you took the time to show how you work from getting the samples right and beginning the 'sculpturing' phase. Really interesting.

I agree about 670 and the 83. Loved those the first time I heard them.

Loved how you took the pinging sound and made it sound like a drip!! Nice work. Really loved when you put the spring verb on it. Then when you put the plate after it, but switched it around to the front of the spring.... really nice stuff there.

Can't wait till I get home to watch the rest. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

You really make me want this, but BF is coming soon.  😃  Gonna see what happens then.

Will the price be lower for BF than the current crossgrade price? (mine is $104 with jampoints)

Zo, see what you've done....you're killing me man!!

• Haha 1

Thks guyz for the kind words , it's not just review as you noticed ....

Key here is to show those primitive moves that are crucial during one of the most crirical process aka production stage (formalisation of an idea ...from brain to hit play and hear it !!) time is an enemy in this step 

The moves i made with those babies (Mixbox souljas ..yep gonna call them like that) are here to waranty me to rpint the DNA as fast as possible , DNA so pronounced that when i 'm gonna come back to work the track later , road will be pathed pretty precisly , nex moves will be arrangement , stucture , mix ect ...

Like i said in the video : 70 fx 149 $ = 2.12 $ per fx , unbeatable (what to say if you get it at 99 $ )

Requests have to be adressed fast by IK , the have a potential diamond here but it need to be worked well ...i hope they will be more reactif than in the past with their instruments for exemple ... 

1) Set as Default for Resizing

2) A/B option

3) One Global bar with all gui option (expand, mix /wet , volume ect ..) it's all over the place to my taste imho . Volume sliders on modules or bewteen or some

4)One Global Wet / Dry

5)EQ's and Channel strip layout , bass freq on the lower side of gui and highs on the upper ..more logical

6) Ducking option

7) Phase Switches (global and per modules)

😎 Modulation Matrix

9) Survey with costumers wanted modules 

10) Unlik option for dual mono processing or m/s (yeah i know ....  )

• Great Idea 3

1 minute ago, Mesh said:

Will the price be lower for BF than the current crossgrade price? (mine is $104 with jampoints)

Zo, see what you've done....you're killing me man!!

Guyz stop that , i really don't want to create problems ahahah .... 

It's just that what i used to do with amplitube and struggle or tracks is just smooth here .... i talked to Ryan about that , and i said that for me it's gonna shine even more at the production / sound design stage (pre production) than in the mix where i need tools with deeper options (M/S L/R , Mutibands operation ect ..)

By the way this lead to 11) requests :

11) Multiband operation spliting / freq dependant modules choices (ability to say modules 4 will be from 400 hz to 2k ) ect ....

Thanks for the video @Zo - really great walkthrough of the plugin. You mention that it's really great for laying ideas down quickly, to capture the sound in your head before you forget it - would you also consider using it in the mixing stage too? You mention some other racks that you have that are admittedly more expensive, but are you more likely to use those during mixing?

8 minutes ago, antler said:

Thanks for the video @Zo - really great walkthrough of the plugin. You mention that it's really great for laying ideas down quickly, to capture the sound in your head before you forget it - would you also consider using it in the mixing stage too? You mention some other racks that you have that are admittedly more expensive, but are you more likely to use those during mixing?

For me IK is the one to go , Slate is exellent but expensive if you want a thrid of the equivalent  ... i stopped using slate because of the rack , during the mixing stage i'm not into racks to be honest , beacuse i always miss some , but the ik might be the exeption in that step also ...

Waves is for me the most mature but you have to get the plugins and it can be expensive at the end ....also the browisng can be endless ....ik is more straight to the point when it come to browsing imho .

Quality wise , ik stuff are at least as good as other hype brands , and several times i prefer their stuff on bilnd test ....

• Like 1

Looking and another approach for such thing to improve workflow I am thinking more and more if DAW creators were doing something wrong?

Plugin creators using some great ideas for  improvement shows what is lacking in usage of our DAW fx bins, plugin browsers etc...

Why Mixbox isn't just built in DAW instead of fx bin? :) 

No, no, I do not try to ask IK for creation of another DAW  ;) They are doing well as providing something what can be used in many DAWs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piotr said:

Looking and another approach for such thing to improve workflow I am thinking more and more if DAW creators were doing something wrong?

Plugin creators using some great ideas for  improvement shows what is lacking in usage of our DAW fx bins, plugin browsers etc...

Why Mixbox isn't just built in DAW instead of fx bin? :) 

No, no, I do not try to ask IK for creation of another DAW  ;) They are doing well as providing something what can be used in many DAWs 

Exact , this leads me to my 12 ) requests a forgot to mention ability to have favorite processing on a small customisable browser !!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

@Zo - You're a gem.  You will never be accused of making short videos, but you will also never be accused of making shoddy videos.  Well done, and love that you go outside of a boring/typical "review" and all that.

Everybody else, thanks for the kind words, suggestions, and consideration of MixBox.

Thks Peter for the kind words , it really warms me up , in fact i don t know how to make short pointless videos lol ...

Reality is i m not a youtuber but a long time producer and what i record is what i do when i chill with friends in studio ... so it s like i m just chilling with you guyz sharing my humble way of doing things ....sure i have the time and langage variable to handle but more important , reviews go flowing when the product is really good ...and that s why i never do review on stuff i don t like , simpl as that , or stuff not brîging really something on the table .

What i said is true from start to finish , amplitube used to be my playground , i bought the leslie for the drive and color for my drums more than guitars that i use way less !! With this release , it really answers a real need :  a plyground with your process , the catalog from ik is consistant , homgenous and musical in that sens that its alwyz serving beauty in sound!

you guyz been on fire lately , just be really sure to push requests , it serves the product and the firm as much as users .

• Like 6

Zo, your video was terrible.  It didn’t make me hate the product so I could ignore it but instead made me want to buy mixbox and I have now used it on three projects.  You are no help when trying to save money :)

Thanks for the video, seriously changed my mind hehe

• Haha 2