MIDI Device not enabled...

Sebastien Ferland

I've been having problems on and off with my Akai MPK61 Professional controller. Befopre, I couldn't get ANY MIDI going. Then I figured out that I wasn't creating a proper instrument track, that fixed everything.

I've been reading up on the MPK61's manual to figure out how to change parameters while recording a performance on Cakewalk (latest on Win10Pro, I keep it all up to date). I'm using Roland's JV-1080 plugin as a VSTi. I was able to record quite a bit... before I SOMEHOW changed something in the MIDI on the computer.

Since that moment, I can see the MIDI coming in, but Cakewalk isn't listening to it. So I tried using MIDI-Ox to see my inputs and outputs. So when I turn on MIDI-Ox and THEN run Cakewalk, this is the message I get:

image.png.7ed46db844edac608828d925cd8aa232.png

This leads me to believe that when I run Cakewalk, somehow the MIDI remains associated with REASON (which I don't have on my PC), and refuses to take over the MIDI output. So I can see the MIDI signals coming in, but Cakewalk doesn't see it and doesn't make a peep. 

(Note -- when running only MIDI-Ox, windows IS actually reporting audio and I can hear a piano, although with about .5s latency. Not sure how that's happening, but that's how I can confirm that my Akai is truly sending out MIDI signal.)

Anyone wanna take a shot at this? I'm in the middle of production here.

Ok, this is becoming EXCEEDINGLY annoying.

I went back in time and got a saved project file out of my archives, I opened the file. In that project I had 5 different instrument tracks saved with the same instruments set up. Selected the track and unmuted. I DID get sound from my keyboard... but delayed by about the same delay I mentioned before, about half a sec. It was as though the MIDI was going from the Akai, to the PC, to my project, then being monitored, and the MONITORING of the MIDI signal was routed to ANOTHER plugin and spitting audio back out at me, thus creating the delay.

SO - I went to the john, and when I came back... NO AUDIO COULD BE HEARD.

I didn't change anything, but during my time away, the autosave may have functioned. Some settings would have been saved into my file, so now I can't hear audio from MIDI.

WHAT GIVES???!?

The "There is not enough memory" error is what Windows returns when the device is already in use. Most MIDI devices only allow one application to open the device at any one time.

The way around it is to use  a loop-back device, e.g.:
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
https://nerds.de/en/loopbe30.html

The loopback devices are multi-client - i.e. they can be used in more than one application at once.

You can use these either on their own, or in combination with MIDIOX if you need extra routing/processing.

What I tend to do is create two loop back devices, with the MIDI input of my hardware MIDI device routed to one loopback device, and the MIDI output of my hardware MIDI device routed to the other.

Be careful to get the loopback ports the right way around else you'll create a feedback loop.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1