Move by milliseconds or samples?

jono grant

First off, the reported latency doesn't mean that the track is recorded that much late. It is an indication that cakewalk knows about this latency and will adjust it automatically.  However, sometimes the latency is not reported correctly or accurately so there is a manual adjustment that you can make after doing a loop back test of your audio interface.

However, there are several ways to "nudge" the clips. You can zoom in and just drag the clip to move it, also there are actually some nudge commands you can bind to a key.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.35.html

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Like 3

The reported latency is adjusted automatically, so clips are moved back by that amount, I think even roundtrip latency as calculated is what is used.
But as said, that means that interface must have AD and DA encoders on them, so that is reported too.

Pure ADAT cards like RME RayDat does not have encoders, so extra values for AD and DA converters delay must be added.
My RME HDSP 9632 has if it was 149 samples on DA and 111 on AD. And strangely enough the piggyback addon card AI4S is different by 6 samples.
My Audient ASP800 over ADAT is 3 samples quicker than built in.
These things are easy to test out how clips are placed re-recording like metronome sound or something else on timeline. Just do loopback with cable.
But just for knowing I did this, I don't bother adjusting by nudging all these depending on inputs unless multimike something on different delays.

I did both line input and through other gear where inputs were on different delays, so adding these later it sounded boxy already, just having different by 6 samples.
I think a delay field for each audio track would be great addition too Cakewalk.

I have this noted, as well as how long response delay there is for external midi gear to set negative ticks delay on midi track to make that align as rendered.

Then if plugins introduce delays that can be turned off with toolbar button [pdc] if you don't want that delay added as tracks are played back.
But there is usually no need to have everything playing back doing recording, so either minimize what is playing by disable tracks, or disable plugins is also alternative or turn off pdc.

It's called Delay Compensation and is automatically calculated. In certain interfaces you can turn that feature off - so that you can do manual compensation which may be required for " real time " or  Hardware inserted effects "