Windows update wipes out Waves licences SOLVED

Vernon Barnes

11 hours ago, antler said:

Just out of curiosity, are you replacing all of your dongled plugins, or moving towards computer hardware based plugin tethering?

A combination of things, it's mainly about rationalisation. 

- Reviewing what I use and don't use and only installing the stuff I use. Like a lot of people here I probably have a lot of duplication thanks to years of GAS. If two plugins do roughly the same and one uses USB ilok then guess which one doesn't make it? 

- I have pretty much everything IKM, iZotope, Komplete 13U etc. Just using those alone I would hardly need to install anything else aside from specific things like Scaler 2, Melodyne, Vocalign Pro (this one needs usb ilok, at least for now) etc. Then there's all the DAW plugins which I still use a lot. 

- Finally deciding on my DAW(s) of choice. This means that Cubase Pro has to go (along with the e-licenser usb key). CbB makes it onto the new PC as does Studio One 5 Pro (just upgraded). 

Edited by ZincT

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

- Reviewing what I use and don't use and only installing the stuff I use. Like a lot of people here I probably have a lot of duplication thanks to years of GAS. If two plugins do roughly the same and one uses ilok then guess which one doesn't make it? 

Not necessarily the most popular opinion - but with me if I had dupes it would be  the non-iLok versions that would go...
iLok just makes life so much easier.  Just install the licensor and pow! - over 100 plugins instantly activated & licensed.   No wasting days or weeks hunting for licenses, dealing with all the different activation schemes and that much sooner that I can take my computer offline.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Not necessarily the most popular opinion - but with me if I had dupes it would be  the non-iLok versions that would go...
iLok just makes life so much easier.  Just install the licensor and pow! - over 100 plugins instantly activated & licensed.   No wasting days or weeks hunting for licenses, dealing with all the different activation schemes and that much sooner that I can take my computer offline.

Yes that is another way of looking at it.

I don't mind iLok as such and still have quite a few bits that use software iLok, it's more about the USB dongle and the fact that you have to buy one of theirs at a high price rather than being able to use a generic USB key. That's also not the end of the expense as you should really have a spare and then there's the ZDT sub.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheSteven said:

...iLok just makes life so much easier.  Just install the licensor and pow! - over 100 plugins instantly activated & licensed.   No wasting days or weeks hunting for licenses, dealing with all the different activation schemes and that much sooner that I can take my computer offline.

Having gone through the installation of a "new-to-me" PC at the beginning of the year, I've got to say, this is the first time the iLok argument has actually had some appeal to me...

8 hours ago, ZincT said:

..it's more about the USB dongle and the fact that you have to buy one of theirs at a high price rather than being able to use a generic USB key. That's also not the end of the expense as you should really have a spare and then there's the ZDT sub.

However, I'm still pretty firmly in this camp.  :)

What is the "ZDT sub"?

The most sensible way is having the option to have it as Steam does it,  with offline option for  a time limit of your own choosing, say 1 to 31 days.

The current cloud option at iLok is a step towards it, but doesn't work for older licenses. That's a big shame.
It would mean no problems if your motherboard fails or disk drive, or for something unpleasant as happens every time Windows updates with XLN Audio plugins

Edited by Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson