Windows update wipes out Waves licences SOLVED

Vernon Barnes

Vernon, can you see your license? IOW, can you move it to the cloud and see what happens?

Or is WC telling you that there is no license? Look in the license icon to the left in WC, then look at the top of that page and check each location to see if the license is one of those places.

The licenses are showing on a disconnected drive. One (the?) solution is shown here,

https://www.waves.com/support/reactivate-recover-licenses

I will probably have to do this, but as this is a once a year process I am waiting to see in Waves can offer another solution.  I am writing rather than producing at the moment so I can afford to wait a couple of days.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

I'm quoting bellow from the page you indicated:

Here's how to reactivate licenses if you reformat your hard drive, reinstall the operating system, or install a new hard drive:

As long as the computer or USB flash drive itself is the same, there is no need to recover your licenses as described above.

If your licenses were activated to a USB flash drive, just connect the flash drive, launch Waves Central and log into your account, and you're good to go.

If your licenses were activated to the computer, make sure it's connected to the Internet, launch Waves Central and log into your account. Your licenses will be reactivated automatically.

If your licenses were activated to a USB flash drive which has since been reformatted, connect the flash drive to your computer, launch Waves Central and log into your account. Your licenses will be reactivated automatically.

Edited by Sergio

37 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

The licenses are showing on a disconnected drive. One (the?) solution is shown here,

https://www.waves.com/support/reactivate-recover-licenses

I will probably have to do this, but as this is a once a year process I am waiting to see in Waves can offer another solution.  I am writing rather than producing at the moment so I can afford to wait a couple of days.

This is the nice thing about Waves Central.  I didn't have this happen with the 2004 update.   It will be interesting if others had the same issue. 

Yes, but Waves Central is convince the drive is not the same, even though it is. I see a connected C drive and an disconnected C drive (with the licenses) in Waves Central, they have different IDs.  As the licenses are on the "disconnected" drive all options seem to be closed other than recovery.  

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

This is the nice thing about Waves Central.  I didn't have this happen with the 2004 update.   It will be interesting if others had the same issue. 

I suspect it was because the windows update reactivated a disabled Ethernet port during the 2004 update. Waves licenses have an unhealthy relationship with Ethernet ports apparently. The first FAQ solution was to disable the port again, but that did not work.

I am getting ready to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. But keep Windows 10 and the same drives.

I wonder if I will have any issues with Waves (or iLok) activations afterwards? The drives will remain exactly as they are, except maybe some new drivers.

1 minute ago, abacab said:

I am getting ready to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and RAM. But keep Windows 10 and the same drives.

I wonder if I will have any issues with Waves (or iLok) activations afterwards? The drives will remain exactly as they are, except maybe some new drivers.

I would deactivate / move Waves Licenses to the cloud and reactivate them when your back up and running.

Rocky

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes you will unless you move them all to the cloud.  If you are using Waves on a USB stick or an iLok you will be fine.  iLok products authorized via the drive will be the most annoying since you will have to contact developers to reset authorizations.  Waves recover licenses is easy.

1 hour ago, bluzdog said:

I would deactivate / move Waves Licenses to the cloud and reactivate them when your back up and running.

Rocky

It will still be the same Windows 10 install and hard drives. Just changing hardware, not the drives.

I would move the licenses if I could but the motherboard died suddenly.

12 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Yes you will unless you move them all to the cloud.  If you are using Waves on a USB stick or an iLok you will be fine.  iLok products authorized via the drive will be the most annoying since you will have to contact developers to reset authorizations.  Waves recover licenses is easy.

iLok licenses are tied to the motherboard (that is, if not on iLok key). You motherboard dies, you will have to contact the developers. Some of them will answer after several weeks only, some almost instantly.

1 hour ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

iLok licenses are tied to the motherboard (that is, if not on iLok key). You motherboard dies, you will have to contact the developers. Some of them will answer after several weeks only, some almost instantly.

Unless you have paid for Zero Downtime ( https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage ) which I think is 30 USD per year or until you make a claim.

Edited by ZincT

12 minutes ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

It gives you temporary licenses, but you will still have to contact developers for resetting authorizations.

I thought that their "TLC on" option provided temporary licenses immediately followed by full replacements a few days later. 

It seems the problem was due to the Windows update re-enabling two network adapters, an Ethernet and a wireless. I had already tried the Ethernet but overlooked the network adapter which was disabled when I started using a high gain USB adapter. I am very glad I waited for Waves to respond before resetting the licenses.

https://www.waves.com/support/computer-appears-as-disconnected-device-in-waves-central

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

3. You were using a network adapter (NIC) which is now disabled.

You can't even freely enable/disable your computer parts these times without a trouble. Or if you care to avoid the trouble Windows update will get you there. Sick!

42 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

isn't this asking for money to avoid their bugs? ***** waves and ilok 😘

Agreed. I'm not recommending it just saying the option's there. 
I am on a mission to get rid of all physical dongles in the migration to my new PC.
I have managed to get it down to one item that still needs a physical iLok.

Apologies for getting side-tracked and glad you got the Waves stuff sorted Vernon.

Edited by ZincT