Windows update wipes out Waves licences SOLVED

Vernon Barnes

55 minutes ago, Grem said:

If it were me, I'd reset the plugins (if your using Cakewalk) and let Cakewalk recan your plugins before you do anything. That often solves Waves License issues with Cakewalk.

If your using another DAW.....

Same in both Cakewalk and Studio One. Waves Central gives a clear indication of the problem, the drive with the licences is shown as "disconnected." It seems the ID code of my C drive has changed.

Just now, Vernon Barnes said:

It seems the ID code of my C drive has changed.

That seems like something an update to Windows is unlikely to do. Never had that happen. Not saying it's impossible, ya never know with Windows. 

But let me ask this, did you have your network card disabled before you updated? If you did, then waves might have linked the license to your C:\ drive. If the update re-enables the network card, Waves switched license to it. At somepoint, (may during the update, maybe at some point in the past) the Cdrive ID got changed so when Waves tried to put license back on the drive, WC saw it as a different drive.

Doesn't WC have a repair option? Have you tried that?

4 hours ago, Grem said:

That seems like something an update to Windows is unlikely to do. Never had that happen. Not saying it's impossible, ya never know with Windows. 

But let me ask this, did you have your network card disabled before you updated? If you did, then waves might have linked the license to your C:\ drive. If the update re-enables the network card, Waves switched license to it. At somepoint, (may during the update, maybe at some point in the past) the Cdrive ID got changed so when Waves tried to put license back on the drive, WC saw it as a different drive.

Doesn't WC have a repair option? Have you tried that?

I think this, or something similar is what happened.  There is no repair option I can see.  Hopefully Waves support will come back with a solution once the weekend is over.

• Like 1

Had this happen a couple of years back. XLN Audio used to have the same problem but you could deauthorize the "old computer" yourself online. Got in touch with Waves and they reset the licenses for me. You used to get one free reset per license per year. Not sure if that's still the case. But, yeah, their advice was to use the USB stick going forward so they were aware of the possibility of the hard drive disappearing.

Edited by Jordache Jaricha

20 minutes ago, someoddmusic said:

Had this happen a couple of years back. XLN Audio used to have the same problem but you could deauthorize the "old computer" yourself online. Got in touch with Waves and they reset the licenses for me. You used to get one free reset per license per year. Not sure if that's still the case. But, yeah, their advice was to use the USB stick going forward so they were aware of the possibility of the hard drive disappearing.

Still do. I had to use it when I upgraded a system.  It also works if you have licenses on other machines.  The USB stick advice is the reason I don't buy Waves.  iLok and eLicenser is enough for me.  Licensing is #1 on my list before forking out money.   That puts Waves on the bottom.  

1 hour ago, someoddmusic said:

Had this happen a couple of years back. XLN Audio used to have the same problem but you could deauthorize the "old computer" yourself online.

This still happens with XLN Audio.  I just had a Windows 10 update and then I restarted my computer and tried to open Addictive Drums 2, but I  I received a message from XLN that the Computer ID wasn't recognized.    I had to clear the computer ID from my XLN account online and then run the XLN online installer  to have my computer ID added back to my XLN online account again.  I hate that  XLN hasn't fixed this problem yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I think this, or something similar is what happened.  There is no repair option I can see.  Hopefully Waves support will come back with a solution once the weekend is over.

When it happened to me, Waves support sent me a link to the support page for how to reset your licenses yourself. Only works once a year though.

13 hours ago, jesse g said:

This still happens with XLN Audio.  I just had a Windows 10 update and then I restarted my computer and tried to open Addictive Drums 2, but I  I received a message from XLN that the Computer ID wasn't recognized.    I had to clear the computer ID from my XLN account online and then run the XLN online installer  to have my computer ID added back to my XLN online account again.  I hate that  XLN hasn't fixed this problem yet.

Fwiw this is why I investigated SD3, and I never looked back. Still loved the workflow in AD2.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

When it happened to me, Waves support sent me a link to the support page for how to reset your licenses yourself. Only works once a year though.

I have not heard from them yet, but I found that support page and the place in Waves Central where you preform the operation.  I think I will give them a bit longer to respond but I assume they will just point me at that option.  I would of course prefer it if they fixed it without loosing the once a year chance but that is probably wishful thinking.

I have my USB stick ready!

Vernon, have you tried to run the waves license manager and restore your licenses?

Some years ago I had an HD crash and lost some licenses (Arturia, IK mainly).

But I was able to restore my Waves licenses on the new HD.

Apparently the license manager uses some hardware components to identify the computer and, as I haven't changed that, it recognized my computer as the one where my licenses should be deposited and restored them.

This should also work on a USB stick: even if the stick is formatted, as long as one plugs the same unit, the licenses can be restored from the waves server. The important factor is that the device is recognized by the license manager as the same HW unit.

That's the reason I avoid saving my activation on the computer HD whenever I can.

I much prefer to use iLok, eLicenser and Pendrives, online activation (iLok Cloud)... anything but my computer HD!

Edith: Of course I do not recommend anyone to format any drive and test if what I said works or not. At the time I had nothing to loose, I tried and, to my surprise, it worked!

Edited by Sergio