Jump to content
Vernon Barnes

Windows update wipes out Waves licences SOLVED

Recommended Posts

I will post more as I get more details but here is a heads up. Today a big Windows 10 update (2004) came through. Now my Waves plugins have lost their license.

I strongly suggest you move any licenses to the cloud or a USB stick before updating Windows at the moment.

Edit  - I suspect this is due to a previously disabled network port being re-enabled in the update. My C-drive which contains the licenses is shown as disconnected in Waves central.

 

 

Edited by Vernon Barnes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No - not it, I have disconnected the Ethernet port again and the problem persists. In Waves Central the ID of my C drive has changed with a connected local drive C with no licenses and a disconnected drive C with the licenses,

 

Support case opened with Waves.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying that the Windows update did not mess you up, but I upgraded to 2004 months ago with no ill effects. My last update was September 12 and my system is saying it is up to date. So this is not a universal problem. Your advice is good though, to move licenses back to the cloud, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost my Waves licenses last year when I disabled a virtual network adapter that had evidently been linked to my local licenses. I got a license reset from Waves that took care of that incident.

I updated to Windows 10 2004 back in July without any incidents involving my Waves licenses. But if it happened to you, it would definitely be something to watch out for, although not likely to affect everyone universally. I had my licenses linked to my local 'C:'  drive at the time of the update and I was OK.

So I doubt that it is Windows 10 specifically to blame, just the possibility that the Windows update changed something that your local Waves licenses were linked to. I'm beginning to think it may be worth the effort to at least move all Waves licenses back to the cloud anytime that I make major changes to my computer. Either that or get another USB stick just for them.

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

check in your waves central as to what the ID is that was the container - sometimes it's your network device which was in use when you registered, other times its the disk drive identity. if either changes you get the disconnect. i went with an inexpensive USB stick but that was not reliable, so i spent the $30 on a good one and it's been solid for the past 6 months or so. definitely will stay with the USB approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

No - not it, I have disconnected the Ethernet port again and the problem persists. In Waves Central the ID of my C drive has changed with a connected local drive C with no licenses and a disconnected drive C with the licenses,

 

Support case opened with Waves.

Windows defender - I hate it. When you update windows, always disconnect or uninstall any antivirus you might be running during this process -- especially Avast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

If Hyper-V got installed in the update, you will have this problem.

It practically takes over the network interface setup.

If you uninstall it, temporary or not, you will get chance to move the licenses to a USB stick.

Thanks, I will try that later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Windows defender - I hate it. When you update windows, always disconnect or uninstall any antivirus you might be running during this process -- especially Avast. 

Good advice! I always uninstall my 3rd party AV, and let Windows Defender take over the job prior to any major Windows 10 version updates.

Then I just re-install my AV afterwards, and Defender quietly goes back to sleep.

There have been times that I left my AV running during the Windows update, and then had to battle Defender afterwards when it thought it should still be running!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the problem was due to the Windows update re-enabling two network adapters, an Ethernet and a wireless. I had already tried the Ethernet but overlooked the network adapter which was disabled when I started using a high gain USB adapter. I am very glad I waited for Waves to respond before resetting the licenses.

https://www.waves.com/support/computer-appears-as-disconnected-device-in-waves-central

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vernon Barnes How many systems can you have a WAVES License working on? I have 2 systems.

Yesterday and for last while my Waves activations keep disappearing from my Laptop system ( WIFI ). To the point now I had to try recover as per your link above BUT that is only possible ONCE a year and not available until 2021.

I am now at the point of moving away from using Waves plugs any more. Too flakey in this regard. I move projects tween 2 systems to work on. In one i am working on at the moment I used Waves Elements VSTi for a track, but am now going to switch to a similar sound in another VSTi.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@Vernon Barnes How many systems can you have a WAVES License working on? I have 2 systems.

Yesterday and for last while my Waves activations keep disappearing from my Laptop system ( WIFI ). To the point now I had to try recover as per your link above BUT that is only possible ONCE a year and not available until 2021.

I am now at the point of moving away from using Waves plugs any more. Too flakey in this regard. I move projects tween 2 systems to work on. In one i am working on at the moment I used Waves Elements VSTi for a track, but am now going to switch to a similar sound in another VSTi.

 

 

Waves allows 1 license at a time unless you are covered under WUP, then it is 2 while covered.

To avoid license recovery due to issues with PC hardware, it has been recommended to move all licenses to a USB storage device. Also, that has the advantage of allowing the license to be used on ANY computer that the Waves plug-ins are installed on by simply moving the USB drive.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, abacab said:

Waves allows 1 license at a time unless you are covered under WUP, then it is 2 while covered.

To avoid license recovery due to issues with PC hardware, it has been recommended to move all licenses to a USB storage device. Also, that has the advantage of allowing the license to be used on ANY computer that the Waves plug-ins are installed on by simply moving the USB drive.

Thanks you .. will give thats a go. Move Lics to USB ..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, abacab said:

Waves allows 1 license at a time unless you are covered under WUP, then it is 2 while covered.

To avoid license recovery due to issues with PC hardware, it has been recommended to move all licenses to a USB storage device. Also, that has the advantage of allowing the license to be used on ANY computer that the Waves plug-ins are installed on by simply moving the USB drive.

Do you have to leave the USB attached while a project with WAVES Vsts is loaded and running?

Or connect, open project and then remove USB? 

Just being curious is all ... no worries either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Do you have to leave the USB attached while a project with WAVES Vsts is loaded and running?

Or connect, open project and then remove USB? 

Just being curious is all ... no worries either way

I imagine that if you pull the plug, Waves will disappear your licenses until you plug it back in...

I'm not using that method yet. But when my Waves licenses were associated with my on-board Ethernet adapter, that is exactly what happened when I disabled the adapter.

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, abacab said:

I imagine that if you pull the plug, Waves will disappear your licenses until you plug it back in...

I'm not using that method yet. But when my Waves licenses were associated with my on-board Ethernet adapter, that is exactly what happened when I disabled the adapter.

As we say over here in Ireland "PAIN IN THE A*SE" :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...