Using ChordPulse-created MIDI files in Cakewalk

Kevin Wayne

Cakewalk & I seem to have a difference of opinion ;)

I am of the view that when I export a separated out instrument [Drumz] from ChordPulse that that should ne the only track I see in the DAW.

Cakewalk OTOH, seems to think I need all the spaces for the instruments I left out when I saved the track to MIDI.

Does anyone know if there's an option to save all channels on 1 track? There was no dialog box for it when I imported it to Cakewalk. The process works fine in Reaper and to a lesser degree in Waveform & Mixcraft 7. Only CWBB seems to want to sh*t empty channels all over the track window.

120007963_3260695404016627_5942856180275269242_o.jpg

On 9/25/2020 at 1:51 PM, John Maar said:

In ChordPulse

File | Export As MIDI File

then tick the option for "All instruments in one track (format 0)", the second from the bottom options.

That will give you a MIDI Type 0 file. Type 1 splits out the instruments to individual tracks.

Tried, got the same results.

One thing Reaper does is ask you essentially the same question before Importing: Do you want everything on separate tracks or no?  Cakewalk seems to not have that function.

I don't get this?

I export a midifile type 1 from Chordpulse. Then i drag&drop a TTS-1 or S-yxg50 (gm synths) first and the midifile second.

I only get 6 (iirc) named tracks, all with notes in them. The drum track is named drums and have got all percussion on it.

Maybe your problem lies elsewhere? I use the default settings in Chordpulse. Have you changed any settings besides the export question about midi type?

• Like 1

I had some issues when trying to export MIDI from Waveform to Cakewalk. MIDI type 1 export seemed messed up in Waveform at the time. Haven't tried it lately, maybe it has improved. Was trying to take advantage of the pattern generators, and then bring MIDI patterns over to Cakewalk.

Ended up having to use Reaper as an import/export middleman to get the Waveform MIDI track where Cakewalk could use it correctly by splitting out the individual tracks. I like how Reaper asks on import how you want to handle the tracks. Reaper is like a swiss army knife.