Keys

mark skinner

Here's one I've revisited recently . I'm trying to lean a little more to the jazz side. This one is pretty dated sounding but I liked the groove. A lot of work with my controller , and being new to keyboard , I played passages rolling around in my head. Lot of hooks from standards but I don't know which ones. I'd kinda like to know who I've ripped off.   Thanks ..  mark   https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/keys

• Like 3

I listened to a lot of Earl Klugh when me and him both were a lot younger. That's where I actually got my appreciation of nylon strung guitars. He kept it simple but dead on for that style.  Detroit still has a reputation for the music they created or expanded on , and being from Flint I still have a connection . Thanks for the reply and compliment ..   mark

Love this genre, and you do it perfectly.  EZ listening?  We used to have a radio station that was devoted to this kind of instrumental ez listening (KINK--Portland has the most strip clubs per capita in the country).    But Earl Klugh and other guitar gods all do it at times.  Growing up I listened to Tony Mottola, and Charlie Byrd etc  they were some of the first.

• Like 1

mark  . . . always love your grooves, it's funny you've asked who you've ripped off:) . . . it's kind of like Steely Dan was jamming with Boz Scaggs, and we're waiting for Sade to start singing, but when the guitar comes in, it's unmistakably mark alan skinner, I always appreciate the amazing touch you have on your fret board.  I'll add that I'm not a fan of the snare sound throughout, which has that distorted after effect . . . my ears hear that as unnecessary distortion.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the listen and the great comments. I Really enjoyed doing this one. @Jesse Screed yes I played a Godin nylon hybrid , (and an electric near the end). The scratchy drum track set the mood for this and was pulled from my old Yamaha awg work station and blended with TTS brush set. I'm thinking I mixed it a little too loud though ..  The bass guitar track was imported into 32 bit Sonar and processed with the bass wah setting in the old auto wah then imported back into CbB. I do this pretty often to use some of the old legacy plugins . Thanks again to all ..   mark 

that was really nice.  it could be updated easily to sound more "modern",  if you wanted to.  But then that would sound dated in five years or whatever, lol.  Either way,  really silky guitars and nice groove all around.  I was digging it.  :) 

• Like 1

Very nice Mark.
First when I listened on my Focals I was wondering what the scratches where..  🙂
A few bars in I realized it was meant that way.
Great mix too.

Very nice..  I like your music a lot in this genre as this is really your gift.
Brilliant.

• Like 1