Roland Zenology updated to PRO - Not a Deal

Vernon Barnes

Roland Cloud Manager has been updated and more significantly Zenology has been updated to Zenology Pro for all levels of cloud membership.

This takes the already excellent Zenology out of ROMplier territory into a full scale synth with a lot of editing potential. I have not had chance to play with it extensively yet but it looks pretty powerful.  

The Stage Piano soundset has also been updated.

I reckon the $2.99 a month is a deal. 

They keep offering time limited demos of the synths from the Legendary series, as good as these are I am not tempted to upgrade to the top tier membership.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Roland Cloud Manager has been updated and more significantly Zenology has been updated to Zenology Pro for all levels of cloud membership.

This takes the already excellent Zenology out of ROMplier territory into a full scale synth with a lot of editing potential. I have not had chance to play with it extensively yet but it looks pretty powerful.  

The Stage Piano soundset has also been updated.

I reckon the $2.99 a month is a deal. 

They keep offering time limited demos of the synths from the Legendary series, as good as these are I am not tempted to upgrade to the top tier membership.

Isn't Zenology Pro just a one month trial for us Core subscribers Vernon? 

On a positive note, all paid Roland Cloud members get access to Zenbeats Ultimate for free on IOS. I tried it and it worked on my iPad. 

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

Isn't Zenology Pro just a one month trial for us Core subscribers Vernon? 

On a positive note, all paid Roland Cloud members get access to Zenbeats Ultimate for free on IOS. I tried it and it worked on my iPad. 

I was a bit confused by this, their communication leaves a bit to be desired but I think it is part of core. The original Zeanology is replaced in the update and I did not see the original bring available any more. I will check again tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I was a bit confused by this, their communication leaves a bit to be desired but I think it is part of core. The original Zeanology is replaced in the update and I did not see the original bring available any more. I will check again tomorrow.

I agree it is confusing and I hope you are correct. Their membership page still shows Zenology Pro only for Pro or higher membership 🤔

https://www.rolandcloud.com/roland-account/memberships

29 minutes ago, Zo said:

Still no perpetual licencing in roland land ? 

Lifetime licences are available for the Legendary series synths.  If you only want one or two it would be cheaper than the sub eventually. IMHO both the top level sub and the lifetime licences are a bit overpriced. I think Zeanology is sub only.

One difference to, say, Arturia, is the integration to Roland hardware which would be an advantage if you are gigging and did not want to use a laptop.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZincT said:

I agree it is confusing and I hope you are correct. Their membership page still shows Zenology Pro only for Pro or higher membership 🤔

https://www.rolandcloud.com/roland-account/memberships

So it does. I was just going on what I saw in cloud manager. I am not sure if I would upgrade to Pro as it's quite a price jump and I am not tempted by conceto or the drum machiens. The D50 would be nice though.

1 hour ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Lifetime licences are available for the Legendary series synths.  If you only want one or two it would be cheaper than the sub eventually. IMHO both the top level sub and the lifetime licences are a bit overpriced. I think Zeanology is sub only.

Zenology Pro is available with a lifetime license - it's $229. That doesn't seem too bad for what it is. The number of PCM tones available is really something. If you like the Roland sound there's a lot available. I've just started playing with it. The expansion models for it seem over priced - $149 each. SRX and ARIA stuff are available with lifetime licenses as well.

Now I have the Sampletank 4 installation and a windows update out the way I have taken another look in the Cloud Manager.  I have core but only Zeanology Pro is available in my library.  Looking again at the blurb I am now sure you will need the pro level sub to continue using Zeanology Pro.  So what will happen when the month trial runs out, Will the basic Zeanology return to my library and will I need to uninstall pro?

I have a suspicion that the two versions are the same application and the features available will be dependent on the level of your subscription. Roland need to be a bit clearer in their communication as the uncertainties take the shine off an excellent product.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, rsinger said:

Zenology Pro is available with a lifetime license - it's $229. That doesn't seem too bad for what it is. The number of PCM tones available is really something. If you like the Roland sound there's a lot available. I've just started playing with it. The expansion models for it seem over priced - $149 each. SRX and ARIA stuff are available with lifetime licenses as well.

On a closer look I think Zenology Pro is over priced - it looks like it only has a single fx slot. Inside Zenbeats or MC-x0x there are fx slots outside of it so more fx can be applied. Zenbeats is sub only ...

Edited by rsinger
learned a bit more

Played with the $3 subscription briefly, and probably would have kept paying it indefinitely just for the large library of occasionally useful sounds, but the Zenology player annoyed me so much. In particular, the fact that the preset browser for same is (or was at the time) a modal dialog -- you couldn't have it open and still operate the DAW, making preset selection a great big pain.

Terrible UI decision; whomever signed off on that should have been fired.

3 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Played with the $3 subscription briefly, and probably would have kept paying it indefinitely just for the large library of occasionally useful sounds, but the Zenology player annoyed me so much. In particular, the fact that the preset browser for same is (or was at the time) a modal dialog -- you couldn't have it open and still operate the DAW, making preset selection a great big pain.

Terrible UI decision; whomever signed off on that should have been fired.

This has changed.

Hi, everyone! Brian from Roland Cloud here. Thanks for the feedback. The Lifetime Keys became available recently at the request of those that were interested in a one-time purchase. The membership tiers offer a variety of sounds and configurations with a monthly or annual option. We have new sounds and features coming out all the time for members, and if you sign up now, you get one month of Ultimate to try everything Roland Cloud has to offer. I'm always around if you have questions. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian McClelland said:

Hi, everyone! Brian from Roland Cloud here. Thanks for the feedback. The Lifetime Keys became available recently at the request of those that were interested in a one-time purchase. The membership tiers offer a variety of sounds and configurations with a monthly or annual option. We have new sounds and features coming out all the time for members, and if you sign up now, you get one month of Ultimate to try everything Roland Cloud has to offer. I'm always around if you have questions. Thanks!

Hi Brian l any info on a bundle , pricecstructure is really pushing around sub if somebody wants several stuff ..

Thks for being around !!! 

On 9/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, Zo said:

Hi Brian l any info on a bundle , pricecstructure is really pushing around sub if somebody wants several stuff ..

Thks for being around !!! 

Hi, Zo! Good question. We just discussed some upcoming bundle promotions today.  Though I can't release specifics, I can say that there will be more options coming for those that want some mix of Lifetime Keys with some of the subscription-only expansions. 

On 9/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, Fleer said:

Hi Brian, great to see you here. 
Can you confirm that Fantom 8 owners, who paid $4000 for their keyboard, also need to pay for Roland Cloud? Shouldn’t they get those Lifetime Keys for free?

Hi, Fleer! Also, a very good question. While our Roland Cloud Lifetime Keys have been rolled out separately from the promotion of the Fantom, I agree. I'll send you a PM and we can work something out. 😊😊

• Like 1