Allow Midi FX in the FX Bin of a simple instrument track

Matthew Carr

Hi,

Would be great if we could add Midi FX directly to the FX Bin of a simple instrument track.

At the moment you have to either:

a) Break the track into a midi track and an instrument track in order to add the Midi FX to the separate midi track. This seems unnecessarily complex

b) Use the track inspector, switch to the midi tab, where you can then add the Midi FX for the simple instrument - but then the midi FX is kinda hidden. If it showed in the track FX bin, it would be more obvious, esp. when there are lots of simple instrument tracks.

Instead, if the drop down on a simple instrument track FX Bin allowed selection of Midi FX, any midi effects would be obvious by looking at the track FX Bin, without having to split the instrument track and add complexity to the project. Behind the scenes I guess this would be the same as option b) above.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

Josh, I use the transpose somewhat regularly.  I know you could do the same by moving notes up and down in piano roll, but i use it to check if synths or keys sit better in the mix an octave or two either side of where i write them. I've also used it to try other interval transpositions to check potential harmonies.

I've also had a bit of dumb luck with the arpeggiator, but i don't use it much. 

I typically load synths in as midi source and audio tracks for the vst fx versatility.

Edited by bob

12 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Matthew CarrI'm not knocking the idea but I do have a question for clarification.  If your idea was implemented how do you envision a user wanting to add a VST or DX audio effect instead of a midi effect?

Hi Jim,

In my mind it would just be another option in the FX Bin context menu (of a Simple Instrument Track) shown below - "Insert Midi Plugin"

image.png.771d3015ded21f821f3a05a74152bf7c.png

i.e. the same as the option available in the FX Bin context menu for a midi track

image.png.a059be8ecd153acc74856006058976c1.png

I use Midi FX a lot to condition data from external controllers; mainly the Event Filter, Transpose and Velocity plugins.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by Matthew Carr
  • Like 1

Big +1 for this

I use the velocity midi plugin quite a bit , it's really handy to constrain the velocity range of a virtual instrument especially some Kontakt libraries where velocity can trigger a different articulation.

At the moment I bounce the midi clips to one entire clip and drop it in there

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

Cakewalk developers are gradually optimizing the DAW workflow.
We can now assign all the outputs of a VSTI to several instrument tracks, and therefore put several audio effects on them.
Everything is now clear and combined, audio, midi and effects in one track ... except the midi effects.
I had already made the request before and therefore I join frankly the point of view of @Matthew Carr, it is necessary to continue in this perspective of combination, a track to control everything rather than being lost in the menus.