How to set Guitar as default group on Staff View's Chord Properties

mgustavo

Question

Hi, I've been using Staff View's Chord Properties to insert chords on some projects.

However, I've noticed that I always have to set Group option to Guitar to see Cakewalk's chord library, because default is an empty group.

I tried the same procedure on Sonar X3 and there the Guitar group is set as default, no need to enter Group list to choose it.

Anyone knows how could I configure it?

Thanks!

Best regards,

8 answers to this question

Hi! Does someone else has had this issue - every time I insert or edit chords on Staff View I have to select Guitar, because Group option is set to none on Chord Properties?
It seems it started on Sonar 2015, because on Sonar X3 it is working fine (Guitar group is set as default, no need to enter Group option to select it).

I tried to save a project template as well as saving chords on a new group, but it didn't work!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Edited by mgustavo

I messed with the Chord Properties yesterday - first time in years. In CbB, it came up with the Guitar group loaded. I am not sure if the template I created started with -Blank- or the factory basic template but I usually create a new "empty" template with every major release ( ex. 8.5,  X3, 2015, CbB not the updates between major releases).

Not sure if the template choice really matters though. Although, I would recommend build new templates rather than use templates from a previous release.

Here is what I found out playing around with Chord Properties:

SONAR and CbB ship with chordsnew.liw and chords.liw.

These files seem to be identical and have not changed since 2011.

They are placed in the user folder along with the ini files.

Chord Properties creates and maintains a CHORDS.CWC file.

This file is also stored in the user folder.

If CHORDS.CWC exists, it is used instead of chords.liw.

To revert to the default, rename/remove CHORDS.CWC.

5 hours ago, mgustavo said:

Hi! Does someone else has had this issue - every time I insert or edit chords on Staff View I have to select Guitar, because Group option is set to none on Chord Properties?
It seems it started on Sonar 2015, because on Sonar X3 it is working fine (Guitar group is set as default, no need to enter Group option to select it).

I tried to save a project template as well as saving chords on a new group, but it didn't work!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

I am struggling with this feature as well. I am using Cakewalk Version 2018.11 (Build 31,64)

One other thing I don't understand is in "Chord Properties" the Finger/Thumb option. When I try to use this feature it does not show a number (1 thru 4) or a (T) for thumb it just shows a black dot when creating a chord. What is the purpose of the Finger/Thumb option if it is only going to place a black dot on the grid? Are you having any luck using this feature?

Thank you,
yeto

Hi! scook thanks for the informations! I'll look for these folders to see if everything is working as expected.

yeto I'd like to say I tried to insert new chords and it seems it makes no difference the finger numbers and it's place on the fretboard, like if one draws Dm on the first position it won't matter if he uses 2, 3, 1 or 2,4,1, as the numbers won't appear on the chord symbol. On the other hand  'X' and 'O' symbols must be in place.
In my opinion this won't matter because the chord symbols will be over notes on the sheet music, it seems it's just for embellishment, as they will be on small size.

Actually my interest on them is to access the chord library and see the correct chord's names, as I use to write them on a different manner, like C7+ for C major 7, etc.

I hope this helps!

Best regards

Edited by mgustavo

5 hours ago, mgustavo said:

and it seems it makes no difference the finger numbers and it's place on the fretboard, like if one draws Dm on the first position it won't matter if he uses 2, 3, 1 or 2,4,1, as the numbers won't appear on the chord symbol.

Yes, this has been my experience as well.

Thank you,
yeto