Export Audio - 32 but versus 64 bit

brandon

Question

7 answers to this question

From my standpoint there is no reason to export 64 bit files unless there is some super resolution audio format out there. Even 32 bit files are overkill for most needs unless you are transferring stems to another machine for more mixing.  Personally, I export at 24 bit, and then master everything down to 16 bit. From there I do mp3, uploads to streaming services etc.

21 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

...  Personally, I export at 24 bit, and then master everything down to 16 bit. From there I do mp3, uploads to streaming services etc.

Why mix down to 16-bit?  The only reason I can think of is if you make CDs, along with mp3. 

My understanding is best practice (For audio intended for streaming services) is to "stay at top bit depth until the end".   So that's what I've done -- 24 bit all the way through mixdown. 

Not criticizing, as there's no right or wrong here.  Just curious. 

Edited by JonD

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Why mix down to 16-bit?  The only reason I can think of is if you make CDs, along with mp3. 

My understanding is best practice (For audio intended for streaming services) is to "stay at top bit depth until the end".   So that's what I've done -- 24 bit all the way through mixdown. 

Not criticizing, as there's no right or wrong here.  Just curious. 

No offense taken, I like to have a 16 bit version for the exact reasons you stated, mp3 and CD.  I tried uploading a 24 bit to soundcloud and Spotify. They do their own things to it so I couldn't hear the difference between my 16 and 24 bit uploaded files.