Question about vertical zoom

Esteban Villanova

The one thing that prevents me from using CbB as my main DAW is its annoying zooming controls. It's essential that any software I use has a way of confortably zoom in and out. In REAPER, Reason, S1, or any other DAW (except for Mixcraft), you can zoom horizontally and vertically using a keystroke+mousewheel combination. Not in Cakewalk. You have to use the arrow keys or righ click+drag on the ruler area to zoom in and out vertically. Just this one little thing that disrupts my workflow and I can't get around because it's just SO annoying. If anyone can prove me wrong and show me a way to zoom vertically using the mousewheel+key, I would be very grateful.

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I zoom vertically all the time with my mouse. I can't remember the exact key combination but I think it is shift-cntl and mouse wheel or one of those combinations.  

You mean zooming the waveforms? What I mean is zooming the entire project. Basically resizing all track panels and their content, like you do when you right-click and drag over the ruler area. In most DAWs I can do that with a key+mousewheel combo.

In Options you can set the behaviour of mouse wheel zoom.  Here you can set it to zoom vertically and horizontally at the same time (Simultaneous) and you can set the strength of the zoom (Zoom Factor)  I have mine set to 1.500.  You can choose to zoom at the cursor position or now time, and with the simultaneous box ticked you can zoom with keystroke Alt + Scroll Wheel.  If you don't want simultaneous vertical and horizontal zoom untick the simultaneous box.  To vertical zoom use keystroke Alt + Scroll Wheel ,  for a more intense vertical zoom use Alt + Shift + Scroll Wheel.   For Horizontal zoom use Ctrl + Alt + Scroll Wheel, and for a more intense horizontal zoom use Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Scroll Wheel.  Personally I only find horizontal zooming necessary so set my mouse wheel options to Simultaneous with the Vertical Zoom Factor at 1.000, actually I think this is the default.  With this setting Alt + Scroll Wheel = horizontal zoom.  Cheers.

34 minutes ago, tonemangler said:

In Options you can set the behaviour of mouse wheel zoom.  Here you can set it to zoom vertically and horizontally at the same time (Simultaneous) and you can set the strength of the zoom (Zoom Factor)  I have mine set to 1.500.  You can choose to zoom at the cursor position or now time, and with the simultaneous box ticked you can zoom with keystroke Alt + Scroll Wheel.  If you don't want simultaneous vertical and horizontal zoom untick the simultaneous box.  To vertical zoom use keystroke Alt + Scroll Wheel ,  for a more intense vertical zoom use Alt + Shift + Scroll Wheel.   For Horizontal zoom use Ctrl + Alt + Scroll Wheel, and for a more intense horizontal zoom use Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Scroll Wheel.  Personally I only find horizontal zooming necessary so set my mouse wheel options to Simultaneous with the Vertical Zoom Factor at 1.000, actually I think this is the default.  With this setting Alt + Scroll Wheel = horizontal zoom.  Cheers.

Thank, but that’s not what I mean. What Cakewalk calls vertical zoom means zooming into the waveforms. What I mean is to change all tracks height simultaneously using the mousewheel. Is that possible?

Sorry, I posted before checking your response, I am not aware of a keystroke + mouse wheel that will vertically zoom all tracks in a project, however you can assign keystrokes  to zoom in/out all tracks in Preferences.  I just assigned 'Zoom In All Tracks Vertical' to 'U' and 'Zoom Out All Tracks Vertical' to 'Alt + U', works very well. 

18 minutes ago, tonemangler said:

Sorry, I posted before checking your response, I am not aware of a keystroke + mouse wheel that will vertically zoom all tracks in a project, however you can assign keystrokes  to zoom in/out all tracks in Preferences.  I just assigned 'Zoom In All Tracks Vertical' to 'U' and 'Zoom Out All Tracks Vertical' to 'Alt + U', works very well. 

oh, ok ☹️ . Thanks a lot.

You can also select all the tracks and drag the edge of one and all will resize.  There is also the auto-focus thing where all the tracks not selected have one size and the selected track another. if you resize one unselected track the rest get resized with it. Not quite what you are asking for but just some other options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reginaldStjohn said:

You can also select all the tracks and drag the edge of one and all will resize.  There is also the auto-focus thing where all the tracks not selected have one size and the selected track another. if you resize one unselected track the rest get resized with it. Not quite what you are asking for but just some other options.

cool, definitely lots of options. Thanks!