Microsoft Excel - Advice Please (#2)

SteveStrummerUK

Further to some excellent Excel advice received in here some time ago, I'm hoping someone can help me with this ☺️

Previous advice showed me how to cause one cell to display a '1' if another named cell contained a number greater than zero, e.g: =IF(A1>0,1"")

ZQUZ26g.jpg

I need to do something similar, but this time I need the '1' to be displayed if the named cell is NOT BLANK.

For example, if I type any value into cell A1, a '1' will appear in cell B1

Further to the screenshots above, the =IF(W7>0,1"") formula (copied down column X) correctly inserts a '1' into the 'Days Operated' fields, but typing '0' does not (I type a zero in the 'Service Users' column if no passengers are travelling but the service is still operating).

Ideally, with the correct formulae in place, the example above would look like this:

FbtgbtL.jpg

Thanks in advance 🙂

My friends say that when I die, my eulogy will be done in Excel since my entire life seems to revolve around it (you have no idea how many weird things I've done using Excel instead of, possibly, more appropriate tools - LOL!).

Anyway, Kurre's solution won't work because when cells are formatted as a number then no value is treated as zero (so every cell will become one whether you type a 0 in the cell or not).  However, Des' solution will work for ya!

If you have any other Excel questions, feel free to PM me.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kurre said:

I'm not sure but have read up on some basics earlier in life.

I think it needs, >= ,Greater-Than or Equal To.

Iow, add the equal sign to your greater than sign.

Thanks for your input Kurre.

I did actually come up with this myself 😊

Unfortunately, as I quickly discovered, this formula treats an empty cell and a cell with a zero in it exactly the same.

2 hours ago, craigb said:

If you have any other Excel questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks mate.

My problems figuring out (no punishment in ten did) Excel arise because I was a really late starter,  so I've never learned it from the ground up. I stumbled into using it as a slightly more useful tool than Word Tables.

Hence every time I 'need' a new feature, it's a Google search or seeking help in here 😊

I use it at work for basic ready-reckoning of cash in/out, and for recording/manipulating stats (as per the example I sought advice on in the OP).

I'm much the same bumbling around in Photoshop - I know all the basics but if I need to delve deeper into some technique or feature, it usually entails a trip to Google or YouTube to find the answer.

Rest assured I most definitely will be taking you up on your kind offer of some Excellent advice before too long  👍