Popping Plosives

justinpbrown71

Question

I am recording an audio book. I have an issue with playback, popping plosives. It only occurs when played back through my friend's computer speakers, which have no issues playing back other recordings. The recording plays back fine through my and his headphones, and also through my and another friend's laptops.

My guess is it's a compression issue. These are my settings using ReaComp:

Threshold: -30
Pre-comp: 0
Attack: 3ms
Release: 100ms
Classic Attack: ON
Auto Release: OFF
Ratio: 4:1
Knee: 3db
Low/High Passes: Default
RMS: 5ms (default)
Wet: 0
Dry: -20
Auto Make-Up: ON or OFF
Limit Output: ON

My chain consists of ReaEQ, set with standard low and high pass filtering, followed by the above compression and then another, flat ReaEQ with a gain boost of around 2 to 3db.

My recording volume is -5db. I have been singing with mics for about 30 years and so have good proximity control. My mic is a condenser with wind shield, set up approximately 30cm away from me, in a sound absorbent recess.

The recording has been tested by the ACX analyser and is well within the required parameters for peak, RMS and noise floor.

I attach a recording of the playback through my friend's computer speakers where the popping sound can easily be heard.

Thanks.

popping.mp3

Edited by Justin P Brown
Spelling.

5 answers to this question

getting a lot of artifacts - maybe somewhat due to compression but it seems more like edges of audio were clipped without cross-fades or simply silenced on non-zero passing. also, no much high freq so it's highly compress mid-range which impacts clarity of bit as well. could be mp3 format killing some highs.

here's the waveform via RX-7

image.thumb.png.4d3fc064ab2a3cec6614510c23211456.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fossile said:

getting a lot of artifacts - maybe somewhat due to compression but it seems more like edges of audio were clipped without cross-fades or simply silenced on non-zero passing. also, no much high freq so it's highly compress mid-range which impacts clarity of bit as well. could be mp3 format killing some highs.

here's the waveform via RX-7

image.thumb.png.4d3fc064ab2a3cec6614510c23211456.png

The recording I attached is not of the original recording. I posted it only as an auditory example of the popping effect through the speakers. I have no idea how it was recorded. There are probably all sorts of background noises present.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:46 PM, Justin P Brown said:

The recording I attached is not of the original recording. I posted it only as an auditory example of the popping effect through the speakers. I have no idea how it was recorded. There are probably all sorts of background noises present.

Its highly Audible on my phone too. Sounds like no Pop filter?