Need help recording audio from synth to Cakewalk

tdehan

I could sure use some help here.  

• I have a 16 MIDI channel sequence loaded up in Cakewalk.
  • The MIDI out of my Digital Audio Interface is plugged into the MIDI in of my Yamaha SY77 which has all the instruments for each individual MIDI channel.  The sequence already has the patch/program changes within the sequence for each MIDI channel.
  • The SY77 has a left and right stereo output which I have coming back into my DAI into Cakewalk.
  • I would like to play the MIDI sequence from Cakewalk into the SY77 and record each separate individual instrument from each separate MIDI channel to individual audio tracks.

How would I go about accomplishing this?

Thanks!

If you use all 16 channels and you want each on a separate audio track you will need to solo one MIDI track at a time and record the audio from the Sy77. Each to a new track. Than you can mix it down to suit you. Or you could record once with all 16 MIDI channels into one stereo audio track.  Once you do you wont be able to mix anything though.  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

If you get a used TG77 - I believe it has 8 individual outputs.   It plays all the SY77 sounds but has no keys.  That would go a long way.

That would certainly be handy however, that does not solve my current issue and is not in the plans.

19 hours ago, John said:

If you use all 16 channels and you want each on a separate audio track you will need to solo one MIDI track at a time and record the audio from the Sy77. Each to a new track. Than you can mix it down to suit you. Or you could record once with all 16 MIDI channels into one stereo audio track.  Once you do you wont be able to mix anything though.  

Correct.  I already have a stereo mix of all 16 channels.  The want here is to have a separate audio track for each one of the 16 MIDI channels.  And yes, do it one at a time does indeed work which is what I am in the process of doing.  Thanks!

BTW if you were to use soft synths i.e. VSTis you wouldn't have this problem. I use Kontakt as well as a whole bunch of other VSTis to create sound. Once you have your sounds where you want them all you do is freeze the VSTis and the audio is now ready for mixing. 

In the distant past I used hardware synths which I still have. A Sound Canvas SC 8850 and a Roland XV 5080.  Plus a drum machine. It was tedious to record each MIDI channel. Although the sound was OK they can not compete with a good sampled library.  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On the other hand the manufacturer of a VST may stop supporting it or go out of business,

the next DAW version may stop supporting VST2 / 32bit / whatever,

a windows update may confilct with something in your VST...

But your Yamaha will always be there (barring technical failure)

On 9/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, John said:

BTW if you were to use soft synths i.e. VSTis you wouldn't have this problem. I use Kontakt as well as a whole bunch of other VSTis to create sound. Once you have your sounds where you want them all you do is freeze the VSTis and the audio is now ready for mixing. 

In the distant past I used hardware synths which I still have. A Sound Canvas SC 8850 and a Roland XV 5080.  Plus a drum machine. It was tedious to record each MIDI channel. Although the sound was OK they can not compete with a good sampled library.  

What problem are you referring to?  The original MIDI sequence I am referring to is an original composition that I created many many years ago all created on the SY77.  I managed as posted in another thread go get the MIDI sequence from the SY77 into Cakewalk.  MIDI sequences on the SY77 are not stored as a .mid file so I needed to play the sequence from the SY77 into my Kawai Q80ex, save as a .mid file and open in Cakewalk in order to separate all the tracks.  I was able to create a complete audio track of all the combined individual tracks but wanted to create separate audio tracks for each of the 16 different MIDI tracks.  I accomplished this by playing the MIDI sequence from Cakewalk back into the SY77 soloing each individual MIDI track and recording just that track.  Mission accomplished.  So, again what problem?  This had nothing to do with .vst's.  This had to do with getting the actual MIDI instruments from the SY77 into a recording.

And yes... I am using soft synths and other plug in instruments for all my other projects in Cakewalk.  I just needed to get the actual instruments from my composition on the SY77 into a recording with separate audio tracks for each instrument of the particular sequence/composition.   This is not something that is an ongoing process.  I appreciate the help however, you guys are thinking WAY to much into all of this.

Anyway..again as stated.  Mission accomplished.

Edited by tdehan

On 9/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, twelvetone said:

On the other hand the manufacturer of a VST may stop supporting it or go out of business,

the next DAW version may stop supporting VST2 / 32bit / whatever,

a windows update may confilct with something in your VST...

But your Yamaha will always be there (barring technical failure)

True, but the Yamaha will also "always" sound the same and have the "same" issues it has now. I still have my Edirol SC88VL in my rack and do use it sometimes for a a quick playback, but not very often

I also will never sell it.....😀

A thought for later - I use to do what you are doing. When I started liking Kontakt and in the box stuff I decided to sample my favorite K2500 sounds into the computer.  There is a program called Samplit2 that I use for this. Now when I want to record a track with K2500 sounds, I load the "sampled" sound into Kontakt. Then all I have to do is to bounce the  midi through Kontakt.  This way I can have 16 tracks bounced to audio in a few minutes instead of an hour and a half of one track at a time.  And that is not even the best part!  The best part comes when I need to change a note or two in a track.  I can easily just bounce it again or freeze and unfreeze the track. I saw an SY77 sample pack somewhere, not sure how accurate it is. And I don't know if you are doing much custom patches. Oh yes, the one track at a time does work :) .

• Like 1