Volume Resolution in Piano Roll

Michael McBroom

Okay, I did a search here on this topic and got no satisfactory hits. This is a simple question. How do I change the resolution by which I can draw curves and wedges, etc., for a controller like Volume, in the Piano Roll? I've had it set to finer resolutions in the past, but I don't know how it happened and now when I need finer resolutions I can't figure out how to get it to do it.

Right now, I have one MIDI track that I want to fade out gradually at the end of the tune. Tied whole notes across a few measures, and I'd like a smooth taper, but the Piano Roll is defaulting to quarter notes, which make nice stair-steps, but a lousy taper. There is a selection of note values at the top of the piano roll -- I assumed that I needed to select one of them -- I selected 1/32 -- but it didn't make any difference when I did.  Right clicking gives me zilch. Ditto with View>Grid Resolution, where I also selected 1/32.

So where is the command for this buried?

The musical notes on the left side of the PRV set the default note length when you're drawing in notes.

View | Grid Resolution just sets the number of vertical line subdivisions per quarter note. Leave it set to 'follow snap'

What you want is the snap setting, which is a pulldown on the top right side of the PRV, to the left of the little 5-pin-DIN icon.

You can also just hit 'N' to disable snapping entirely, which is what I'd do when drawing smooth volume or other controller changes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I don't use the Piano Roll for much -- just adding tweaks to MIDI files, mostly volume adjustments. That Snap icon on the top right is one of the things I tried, and it didn't make any difference. Tried it again just now, first it wasn't working then, bam! There it was. Fine resolution. Dunno why it wasn't working at first, although I'll probably be able to figure it out. I also tried -- oh, I just realized what I was doing wrong with 'N' cuz I couldn't get it to work. I was holding it down while trying to draw. You did write just to hit it so that's my bad. Good to know, though. So thanks!

• Like 1