Installing plugins from scratch

synkrotron

Okay, just added a little handy freebie synth called Cobalt by Sanford Sound Design called Cobalt. No fancy installers here, just a matter of copying the supplied files and folders to where you want your VST stuff. Works fine...

And I have also added my three u-he synths, Hive (one of my go-to synths), Podolski (free) and Zebralette (free). Everything went to plan.

That concludes all the VSTi

Now for the remaining VST effects... About fourteen plugins from seven vendors. Getting late again here, though, so might knock off for the night and continue tomorrow morning. Been a long day... And although my missus hasn't said anything, she will be a little bit cheesed off with me right now......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Okay, just added a little handy freebie synth called Cobalt by Sanford Sound Design called Cobalt. No fancy installers here, just a matter of copying the supplied files and folders to where you want your VST stuff. Works fine...

Cobalt is one of my favourite synths.  It's my go to for lead sounds. It's very similar to the Korg DW8000.

It was discontinued for a long long time, but the old 32bit demo worked in the meantime. I'm so glad Les Sanford has recompiled it for 64 bit.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Cobalt is one of my favourite synths.  It's my go to for lead sounds. It's very similar to the Korg DW8000.

I'm not familiar with the DW8000. 1985 it was released, apparently. A "hybrid" digital analogue synth. But by 1985 I think I had sold my small collection of Roland analogue stuff and was not making music at all. A search on Google puts the original price at around $1600 and at that time I reckon I was earning around £200 a week so easily eight weeks wages over here in the UK (even though the pound/dollar exchange rate was in our favour, prices for this stuff always ended up being pounds = dollar).

This track of mine was a couple of instances of Cobalt and loads of delay and reverb (because I can). Not a particularly interesting piece but I liked the pad sound I created, which has the pitch altered ever so slightly by one of the envelopes, similar to some Vangelis type sounds on the CS-80:-

https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron/ceto

And although there are a tonne of great presets, Cobalt makes me want to start from scratch and develop something "new."

Great little freebie :D

4 hours ago, ØSkald said:

I love Komplete, but dont love NI. Well I dont hate them ether, but now they have trouble with a winfows update hindering Windows to see some hardware. So i have my Windows Update on hold....

Oh dear, sorry to hear about that, what a pain.

Regarding Komplete, I'm the other way round. I admit that it is a great tool, with lots to go at, but I reckon I could blow a whole year's budget, and more,  getting set up with Komplete and all the stuff I would want to get, hardware and software, so I deliberately stay clear of that particular rabbit hole.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ØSkald said:

Grr. I am clean installing windows now. Something clicked and I just couldnt log inn. Gotta LOVE Microsoft right?

That is even worse news, @ØSkald 😞

Most peeps seem to have images of their OS but I don't bother with that. I'm not sure if it always works.

Good luck with your install :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, synkrotron said:

Been a long day... And although my missus hasn't said anything, she will be a little bit cheesed off with me right now......

Don't kid yourself - she sees everything in that room as an electronic babysitter that keeps you out of the way while she does whatever she wants to. If she ever  tries to tell you anything different to that, then she's just messing with your mind because she can.😏

• Haha 1

I feel for ya! I’ve never had an issue with NI installation. And I have Komplete Ult 11 and downloaded the lot. 

Now their policies regarding hardware longevity and backwards compatibility are another issue altogether that could probably use a thread of its own. 

Anyway!

All of my plugins have been installed and tested now. Some 27 instruments and 39 effects.

I also upgraded to Sound Forge 12 because I wanted to bring that up to 64bit, and it recognises VST3 plugins too. Some "freebies" came with that, mainly iZotop mastering plugins, but I haven't tested those yet and will probably only use them in Sound Forge anyway.

Got to test my hardware/software setup next :D

8 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

will probably only use them in Sound Forge anyway

Chances are they are locked to SF. There was a small window of time when they were first bundled with SF that they were not locked to the program. Sony issued an update within days to fix it.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Chances are they are locked to SF. There was a small window of time when they were first bundled with SF that they were not locked to the program. Sony issued an update within days to fix it.

Yeah, that certainly was the case with earlier versions of Sound Forge.

I've just gone through the registering process of the iZotope stuff as well as having a quick look at what they do and, to be honest, I don't think I'll be bothering to use them in either Sound Forge or my DAWs.