Installing plugins from scratch

synkrotron

Seeing as I am currently bringing my new workstation up to speed I thought I would document how I get on with re-installing all my virtual instruments and effect as well as some of my other editing software like Sound Forge.

When I bought my MS Surface Pro last year I started a spreadsheet on my Google drive with all my instruments and effects. So I will be adding a column for my new workstation so that I can keep track of where I am up to.

First up is all of my A|A|S stuff which includes Chromaphone 2, String Studio VS-2, Strum GS-2, Ultra Analog VA-2 and Objeq Delay.

A|A|S now have a single installer for all the products you own. I've not used this before and I am happy to report that installation and licensing of all my products when ahead without a hitch.

Next up, Arturia... Be right back...

Double check were AAS installs dlls. In the past, I have seen it duplicate files putting them in the manufacturer folder under the VST folder and in the root of the VST folder. Not a big deal but one copy of the of binaries is enough.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, scook said:

Double check were AAS installs dlls. In the past, I have seen it duplicate files putting them in the manufacturer folder under the VST folder and in the root of the VST folder. Not a big deal but one copy of the of binaries is enough.

Thanks, @scook :)

I just checked and, yes, they are all over the place.

Normally, if an instrument or effect is available in VST3 then I don't bother installing the other formats. But with the A|A|S installer you do not appear to get the option, so I just let it do its thing. Then in my DAW (currently only installed REAPER for now) I only use VST3. I know that SONAR/Cakewalk is a bit slicker when it comes to managing plugins and VST3 versions are automatically used when available.

Anyway, the A|A|S DLL files can be found here:-

C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins

and here:-

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

which I do not understand at all because I haven't even installed Cakewalk yet and was surprised to see a Cakewalk folder in the Program Files.

For the size they take up I could leave them where they are, but then again, knowing I will never use the DLL VST2 plugs, I should really get shut.

Good thing about VST3 stuff is, everything is chucked into the same folder and you don't have to faff around in your DAW adding different folders.

cheers

andy

I remember discussing this with AAS. They may hard code the Cakewalk path in their installers. IIRC, they claimed there was some problem if they did not do it. Another thing to check is VSTPluginsPath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST.  Some installers use the path in this entry. Some modify the entry.

• Thanks 1

Just finished installing, licensing and testing my Arturia instruments and effect. I currently own ARP 2600 V3, Buchla Easel V, CS-80 V3, Jup-8 V3, Mini V3, Modular V3, Prophet V3, SEM V2 and Mini Filter. Installing and licensing is quite easy using Arturia's Software Centre but it did seem to take a long time, and there was an "IPersist" error, although that didn't seem to affect theinstalled software at all.

Onwards and upwards, as they say!

I have BFD Eco... Was good for the price. I was able to install the software but there are no kits and after an hour of faffing around I have given up. The product is no longer supported by PXpansion and I'm not that interested in upgrading to BFD3.

FabFilter stuff installed and licensed okay. FabFilter now has a "bundle" style installer, which is nice, and I just selected the products that I owned. Licensing is a manual process of cutting and pasting licensing text into a dialog box.

At first I thought........why is he doing this thread? I'm sure that most people here have experienced this process at some point.......

And then I remembered how fucking boring it is.......took me an entire weekend last time. Gotta do something while you're endlessly waiting, right?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, paulo said:

Gotta do something while you're endlessly waiting, right?

Haha! Yeah, you got it ;)

doing my head in... Biggest faff so far is the Native Instruments stuff. They have their "Native Access" application, so all should be good... But it ain't and for some reason it wants to put some library stuff in the C:\Users\Public\Documents folder, except there isn't a folder with that name and Windows 10 is not allowing Native Access to create it. Might be something to do with the new ransomware protection and I tried adding Native Access to the list of allowed applications, but that didn't work. After a bit of poking around in Native Access I found that you could specify a different path, and that worked.

More I think about it, must be something to do with the new Windows security stuff because I've never had trouble with NI stuff previously.

Anyway, I've at least now got to the point where all my NI stuff is installed and I'm now working my way through checking everything is licensed and works.

2 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Haha! Yeah, you got it ;)

doing my head in... Biggest faff so far is the Native Instruments stuff. They have their "Native Access" application, so all should be good... But it ain't and for some reason it wants to put some library stuff in the C:\Users\Public\Documents folder, except there isn't a folder with that name and Windows 10 is not allowing Native Access to create it. Might be something to do with the new ransomware protection and I tried adding Native Access to the list of allowed applications, but that didn't work. After a bit of poking around in Native Access I found that you could specify a different path, and that worked.

More I think about it, must be something to do with the new Windows security stuff because I've never had trouble with NI stuff previously.

Anyway, I've at least now got to the point where all my NI stuff is installed and I'm now working my way through checking everything is licensed and works.

Oh man, don't start me on NI. When I bought Komplete 11 I sprung the extra for the HD version because I just couldn't face the downloads...........except it was a total waste of money because NI access insisted upon downloading absolutely everything again anyway even though it recognised the HD. As a result I now think of NI as NA (Never Again).

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

Oh man, don't start me on NI. When I bought Komplete 11 I sprung the extra for the HD version because I just couldn't face the downloads...........except it was a total waste of money because NI access insisted upon downloading absolutely everything again anyway even though it recognised the HD. As a result I now think of NI as NA (Never Again).

My NI hard disk was corrupt, and I spent AGES trying to work out how to replace the installers on it after repairing it and some of the files ending up too damaged to repair.

Thankfully it works now, but as you say - everything is so out of date, it ends up downloading it all again anyway.

3 minutes ago, paulo said:

As a result I now think of NI as NA (Never Again)

Yeah, I can understand that.

I love three things of theirs, though. Absynth, Reaktor and Guitar Rig. I like Battery too but don't use it much lately since going on that "ambient journey..."

So I'm kinda sticking with it, for now.

28 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Yeah, I can understand that.

I love three things of theirs, though. Absynth, Reaktor and Guitar Rig. I like Battery too but don't use it much lately since going on that "ambient journey..."

So I'm kinda sticking with it, for now.

I do use it, but thinking about that day and the absolute shambles that they call support has me thinking that I won't be giving them any more money any time soon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paulo said:

I do use it, but thinking about that day and the absolute shambles that they call support has me thinking that I won't be giving them any more money any time soon.

To their credit, they have vastly improved the stability of NI Access.

When I first bought Komplete 11, I was absolutely raging at it (and I rarely lose my temper). Any slight delay in the download process (such as my cron job on another machine downloading a backup of my website's database), would mean it timing out and starting again from the beginning. This was totally unacceptable given that some of the installs are approaching 10GB or more. I mean, of course there's a likelihood of your download speed going up and down over a few hours - in fact, I suspect my ISP started throttling it at some point.

At least now it recovers nicely, and will quite happily continue from where it left off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

To their credit, they have vastly improved the stability of NI Access.

When I first bought Komplete 11, I was absolutely raging at it (and I rarely lose my temper). Any slight delay in the download process (such as my cron job on another machine downloading a backup of my website's database), would mean it timing out and starting again from the beginning. This was totally unacceptable given that some of the installs are approaching 10GB or more. I mean, of course there's a likelihood of your download speed going up and down over a few hours - in fact, I suspect my ISP started throttling it at some point.

At least now it recovers nicely, and will quite happily continue from where it left off.

In my case, not only did almost every  large download fail several times, always right near the end, but they just completely ignored my question of why I had to download everything  when I just paid for the HD.  Several other related support tickets  were also just marked as solved when they had even responded to my question.