Focusrite 18i20/Octopre setup

Laszlo Mayer

Question

Hello,

I just got my Octopre and I was able set it up in Focusrite control panel, inputs are there but I cannot get them in Cakewalk.  The extra channels don't show up.  18i20 channels work fine though.  Has anybody ever run into this issue?  Also, I have a trial version Ableton. This software recognizes the extra channels.

Thank you for you help,

Laszlo

I attached my setup pictures.

control input page.jpg

control 1.jpg

track selection.jpg

cakewalk setup3.jpg

cakewalk setup2.jpg

cakewalk setup.jpg

5 answers to this question

Your extra inputs/outputs were always "there" - they just weren't connected or routed.

Stereo Inputs 1,3,5,7 relate to the 18i20's eight inputs.   Stereo inputs Digital 1,3,5,7 are your eight OctoPre inputs.

If you're using mono:
ASIO Input 1 Left  = Analog Input 1           ASIO Input 9 Left  = ADAT Input 1
ASIO Input 1 Right  = Analog Input 2        ASIO Input 9 Right  = ADAT Input 2
ASIO Input 3 Left  = Analog Input 3           ASIO Input 11 Left  = ADAT Input 3
ASIO Input 3 Right  = Analog Input 4        ASIO Input 11 Right  = ADAT Input 4
ASIO Input 5 Left  = Analog Input 5           ASIO Input 13 Left  = ADAT Input 5
ASIO Input 5 Right  = Analog Input 6        ASIO Input 13 Right  = ADAT Input 6
ASIO Input 7 Left  = Analog Input 7           ASIO Input 15 Left  = ADAT Input 7
ASIO Input 7 Right  = Analog Input 8        ASIO Input 15 Right  = ADAT Input 8

This is the standard routing, but you can obviously change this in the Focusrite Control app.

The same goes for the outputs:   Stereo outputs 1,3,5,7 are the analog outputs on the 18i20; Stereo outputs 9,11,13,15 are the ADAT outputs.

Thanks Mark.  Well, that is what I thought.  I tried to set recording input on those channels but nothing shows up in Cakewalk.  I picked digital 1 left and right, same way I setup just the interface alone.  

Is there anything else I need to do?

I really appreciate your help.  Thanks.

Laszlo

It's most likely not set up correctly within Focusrite Control.

You need to make sure that:

1. The DAW inputs 9-16 are being fed from the ADAT inputs; and
2. The OctoPre is wordclock sync'd to the 18i20 (see page 10 of the OctaPre userguide: https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/31897/scarlett-octopre-user-guidev1.pdf )

Hello,

I've got the solution. I was able to chat with Focusrite support. They did not help much on Cakewalk but at least my setup for Focusrite control was verified. In Focusrite control you need to pick "analog+ digital". 

In Cakewalk input shows up under Digital 3 Left (ch1), Digital 3 Right (ch2), Digital 4 Left (ch2), Digital 4 Right (ch3) etc.    Thanks Mark pointing me into the right direction. Now everything works.

Thanks for the help again. 

image.thumb.png.1ba7aa5fc849468590d525a4c0e1a064.png

image.thumb.png.a8324f7f6cd9c8b0775bcfcb77ff2d44.png