Syncronize horizontal zoom - Track view to Piano Roll view

RBH

A large amount of my time is editing audio and aligned midi synced tracks. I tend to work back and forth on each sometimes just a few notes worth at a time, sometimes chopping large clips.

I think it would be huge improvement to work flow if we were able to lock horizontal scaling between the Track View for audio editing and the Piano Roll view for midi editing.  I think I spend 50% of my editing time resizing views between PRV and TrackView.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

• 7 months later...

Speaking of Editing Time, I was just looking at the Editing Time for some of my songs and am wondering what the format is.  If it is Hours:Minutes:Seconds then I'm spending way more time than I thought.  The documentation doesn't say what the format is, so I'm asking if anyone knows for certain.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

The OP does what I do a lot, using Piano roll view along with track view to line up data.

I haven't tried it yet but im thinking of trying the Inline Piano roll view. This might help with some of the "Keeping the scaling size" similar.

I like your idea, but I also like having the piano roll zoomed in tight for 1/8 and 1/16 notes while preserving the track view size, so its a tough choice for me. Give me an option to turn it On/Off and im in :)

• Like 1

I do inline piano roll editing quite a bit. I think it's one of the finer things in sonar and I believe it was implemented way back in Sonar 5,  unfortunately you can't insert a note in the same way as in PRV into the inline view - you can however copy notes. This works ok for drum editing when inserting a few notes here and there - but for chord editing or  insertion it doesn't pay to work on the inline view. The Piano Roll View editing is incredibly powerful in CbB - I think it really puts it in a class by itself - multy track viewing and quick jumping between tracks is amazing in Cake. Maybe I'm missing something when editing inline?  Also - I never work with a grid - so I guess I don't take advantage of the efficiencies of some of the snap operations. I work strictly with real time midi.

I can imagine that the graphics overhead might not make it practical.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1